18. yours

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

YOURS

( Thursday 5th February 1998 )

  Rowan found herself disappointed when Draco was late to prefect duties that evening. As she waited outside the Slytherin common room, listening to nothing but muffled echoing voices down where Snape's office was, her brain immediately jumped to the worst possible conclusions.

Rowan assumed he was off with some girl. She found it hard to believe that Draco hadn't slept with anyone since before Christmas, but people were still occasionally talking about how strange his new behaviour was, so maybe it was true.

However, Draco could slip up any moment. Rowan wasn't sure if all it would take is an eager, beautiful girl for him to break his streak of celibacy. Most importantly, though, Rowan hated the fact that it mattered to her.

She hated the sickness she felt in her throat and the twisting of her stomach at the thought of him being late to meet up with her because he was off with some other girl. Showing her affection, giving her pleasure, and also getting pleasure off of her.

Rowan had to close her eyes and think about the mock exam she had in the morning to distract herself from her intrusive thoughts. Even that was less stressful than wondering if Draco was currently in bed with someone that wasn't her.

She hated this! Rowan hated these jealous feelings! Or having feelings for Draco Malfoy full stop. The world was not meant to be like this. The world should be Rowan hating Draco, and Draco hating Rowan. That was how it had been for years, and that was how she still wanted it to be.

She'd not had feelings for someone since Adrian Pucey last year, and she was only now remembering how painful it was to like someone. Even if she knew Draco liked her back, she didn't know if that was enough for him to stop his eyes straying elsewhere. Besides, it wasn't like they were a couple. They'd only ever kissed a few times.

A few amazing kisses....

"Sorry I'm late."

Rowan jumped, her eyes snapping open as she pushed off of the stone wall behind her. Draco stood in front of her, and much to her dismay, he looked flushed and his hair was messy. Rowan felt a lump in her throat as her stomach dropped.

"Only say sorry if you mean it," Rowan scowled, allowing her anger to get the best of her as she marched down the hallway, taking the lead. "Otherwise, it's pointless. Slipped back into your old ways, have you?"

Draco was quick to move after her, his long legs barely having to put in any effort to keep up with her quick strides. As if she was trying to get rid of him, but not really. His face was scrunched up in confusion.

"I'm sorry?" He scoffed, "Look, I'm only five minutes late."

"It's just impolite," Rowan retorted.

"Look, I really did mean my apology. I was up at the owlery, sending a letter to my mother. I ran back when I realised the time," Draco said, "I'm not slipping into my old ways," he added defensively.

Rowan slowed down. Everything clicked into her head and she felt guilty. Draco was obviously telling the truth, and he looked slightly dishevelled because he'd been running. Running so he wouldn't be late meeting her.

"Oh." Rowan cleared her throat. "Sorry, Malfoy. I didn't mean to be such a... an arsehole."

Draco shrugged. "I'm used to you being an arsehole to me."

Rowan scoffed and shoved him. Draco chuckled, barely moving as he shoved his hands into his pockets and carried on walking beside her now. He looked down at her for a moment and Rowan was nearly breathless by the look on his face, as if he was really admiring her, before he looked back up and she had a nice view of his sharp jawline flexing ever so slightly.