17. like a bludger

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

LIKE A BLUDGER

( Thursday 22nd January 1998 )

Prefect duties with Draco the next evening proved to be quite awkward. He didn't say much, but they'd spoken a little bit about Quidditch as they moved around the empty corridors. Draco seemed to be a little embarrassed about the kiss, and Rowan was embarrassed about sleeping with Theo — even if Draco didn't know that she had. She decided she wasn't really cut out for this whole Plan thing. Rowan couldn't hurt Draco like she thought she'd be able to when she'd accepted Theo's request.

She expected Draco to say something. Anything. To tell her to forget they'd ever kissed, or maybe kiss her again. He never did. He acted like they were nothing more than peers, which was frustrating. Rowan had no idea where she actually stood with Draco, They weren't exactly enemies anymore, but not friends either. They kissed, but never confessed. It was nearly making her yank her hair out every evening.

When she returned to the dorm rooms, Daphne wasn't there but Millicent was plaiting Tracey's hair by the heaters in the room. Pansy was out, and Rowan could only assume it had something to do with Nancy Bridget, Pansy's potential new girlfriend.

"How were prefect duties, Rowan?" Tracey asked.

Rowan glanced up, sending her a small smile as she pulled off her shoes. "It was fine, thank you. Didn't find anybody wandering the halls or anything."

"Oh, that's good then," Tracey hummed, "Oh, and don't worry — Daphne's not here. She's found the next best thing after Malfoy apparently. She's off with him right now."

"Oh really?" Rowan raised an eyebrow as she flopped down onto her bed. She'd yet to take her school uniform off, but she couldn't be bothered right now. She'd do it in a minute. "Who is the lucky guy?"

"The Seeker from the Ravenclaw team," Millicent answered, "We think she did it to make Malfoy jealous, but Slytherin literally beat Ravenclaw, so it makes no sense... But there's no stopping Daphne once she has a picture in her head."

Rowan released a small laugh. "Godson? Is she aware that the odour problem isn't just down to excessive Quidditch playing? Like he actually smells like that?"

Tracey shrugged and gave a grin in return. "She bought him some cologne apparently. She says he's been using it and it's made a complete difference. I don't know, though."

Again, Rowan laughed. If Daphne really thought being with Godson would make Draco jealous, then she had no brains whatsoever. Rowan's eyebrows furrowed.

"Greengrass really likes Malfoy, doesn't she?"

"Daphne does, yeah," Millicent replied, concentrating on Tracey's hair. "Though if you ask us, she likes the idea of taking the Malfoy name for herself and owning him. She barely reacts when Malfoy shags girls that Daphne knows are below her. But if it's someone worthy of being a potential wife one day, like, if they're beautiful and Pureblood and Slytherin... she loses her mind."

"How come she's friends with you two then?" Rowan asked, "You two are all those things."

Millicent blushed. "Oh, thank you, Rowan."

"We've never been with Malfoy," Tracey answered, "Daphne would never allow it! Not that he's really my type anyway. Just like she doesn't let Astoria anywhere near him."

"You guys haven't even kissed him?" Rowan furrowed her brows. "I would have thought at least that."

Tracey snorted. "Malfoy doesn't kiss!"