8. deepest desires

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

DEEPEST DESIRES

( Sunday 5th October 1997 )

Rowan was pissed. She was infuriated. If she was a cartoon character in one of those Muggle shows, steam would pouring out from her nose and ears, and her face would be bright red. Rowan sat in the corner of the Slytherin common room, a huge book sat on her lap that she had yet to start reading for Charms class, her eyes burning into the back of Draco as he leant against an armchair about fifty feet away, flirting shamelessly with some sixth year girl.

How the fuck was it fair that she had to stop her regular hookups with Clay if Draco still got to sleep around? Granted, Draco was of course not a part of the plan and merely the victim, but still. Rowan felt like a complete idiot — like she was saving herself for Draco or something.

No way was that the case. No way at all. She felt pathetic and stressed and wound up, and she missed Clay the more she watched Draco fake a small laugh at whatever the girl was saying. Rowan nearly gagged when the girl reached out and rubbed at his shoulder.

"Why do you look like you're trying to cast a non-verbal Killing Curse?" Blaise huffed as he dropped down into the seat opposite her.

In the past week and a bit, Rowan and Pansy had found themselves talking more and more with Blaise and Theo. Of course, most of the time it was just about their little revenge plan, but the boys clearly saw no issues in sitting down next to them all the time, or asking what they were doing, or if they'd done the homework yet. Rowan would go as far as to say that she would actually consider the two boys as friends now.

"Look at him," Rowan said, jerking her head in the direction of Draco.

"He was going on this morning in the dorm about stressing over the quidditch match next month. Said he was going to release some frustration," Blaise hummed, "I guess we know how now."

Rowan grimaced. "Ugh. Nice one."

"Oh!" Blaise jumped up from his seat. "Theo came up with another strategy to push things along a bit quicker. Meet Blaise Zabini — reformed wingman, now certified cockblocker."

Rowan's lips twisted up into a grin that could only be described as evil. "What are you going to do, Mr Zabini?"

Blaise grinned back. "Watch and learn, Yaxley."

Her body swivelled around slightly in her seat for a better angle. Rowan's ears strained, but she found Blaise began to talk loud enough for half the common room to hear if they wanted to.

"Draco," Blaise cheered as he moved over, flinging an arm over his blond friend's shoulder. "Did that potion I leant you help with the itching.... down... you know?"

Draco was frozen, too stunned to even push Blaise's arm off. "What?" He hissed, not missing the horrified look on the girl's face.

"Has it not helped?" Blaise feigned concern. "It should've. Did it at least get rid of some of the redness and swelling? I know Pomfrey said it looked so gross that she refused to even go near it, but if you need a hand, that's what friends are —"

"What the fuck, Blaise?" Draco snapped, shoving him back when the girl finally whirled around, rushing back to her friends. "What are you even fucking on about, you freak?"

Blaise snickered and patted Draco's shoulder. "It's called a joke."

"It wasn't very fucking funny though, was it?" Draco growled, yanking his coat off of the arm of the sofa he was leant against and storming away.