2. crushes

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

2. crushes

( 17 September 1997 )

Rowan's entire body felt like ice as she trudged through the Hogwarts' grounds, a furious expression written across her face. Upon reaching the Slytherin common room, but not without a muddy trail behind her, Rowan chucked her broomstick down on the coffee table, the rainwater splashing all of Draco and Blaise's notebooks and knocking over an ink pot.

The smug smirk on Draco's face that he'd been wearing since seeing Rowan turn up quickly wiped away, cries leaving both Slytherin boys as they lurched forwards to try and save the essays that they had been working on all weekend.

"You're a liar, Malfoy! You said practice was happening whether it was raining or not," Rowan hissed, side eying Blaise as he lifted Rowan's broom off the table and tried to save his smeared mess of an essay. "I should have known that a twat like you would cancel practice as soon as the first drop of water fell."

Draco growled under his breath and yanked up his pages. "It's your fault for not sticking around at trials to find out when the first practice date would be," he said. "Get your cheap broom away from us."

"It's not cheap, you bastard," Rowan huffed and snatched it out of Blaise's hands. "It's just as good as yours — so you have no excuse for being slower than me."

"Can we not do this today?" Blaise groaned, leaning back on the couch in defeat. "I swear you two have argued everyday this school year and it's pushing me to the edge. I can't wait for this time next year when I never have to be in a room with both of you at the same time again."

"Well, me either," Rowan quickly declared. "I'm counting the days."

Draco rolled his silver eyes. "Because I gave you the wrong date for practice?"

"No, because you're a sour womanising prick who actually seems to enjoy the shade of his daddy's shadow," Rowan retorted.

She noticed the way Draco's face contorted ever so slightly at the mention of his father. It always got him riled up, and Rowan used it to her advantage. However, Draco seemed to want to change the subject from his family.

"Womanising?" Draco scoffed and straightened his back against the couch. "If that's the word that you want to use for somebody who gets some, then feel free to call me that, Yaxley."

"Womanising," Rowan repeated matter-of-factly, "In this case, I'm using it as an adjective for someone who is a 'womaniser' — which is a synonym for 'man whore', 'male slut', and also 'Draco Malfoy.'"

Blaise released a small laugh which was quickly whacked out of him by Draco's large hand. "You're not funny, Yaxley. Just admit you're jealous you haven't got some yet," Draco said.

"I'm not a virgin," Rowan scowled back.

"I mean that you haven't got some from me," Draco smirked, and lay back against the seat behind him.

These were the kind of comments that made Rowan the angriest. To think of herself stooping low enough to end up another one of Draco's girls made her feel ill. She hated to have a superiority complex, but she was better than that — emotionally stronger than the girls who fell for his lies, or worse — knowingly went along with them, like Daphne.

Rowan feigned retching noises. "I wouldn't touch you if you were the last man on earth."

Draco looked disgusted — probably a mixture of the noises she had made and the words she had said. He looked like he couldn't physically comprehend how somebody could say those words to his face and actually mean them.