11. three broomsticks

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER
THREE BROOMSTICKS

( Saturday 15 November 1997 )

  The Three Broomsticks was bustling with life when Pansy and Rowan stepped through the door. The snow on their shoes immediately melted on the mat and disappeared thanks to one of Madam Rosmerta's charms, and the sickly sweet scent of Butterbeer filled their nostrils. Rowan pulled off the black beanie that had been keeping her hair dry, and shoved it into her coat pocket with her gloves.

"It looks like there are barely any seats," Rowan grunted, looking around at all of the booths and tables filled to the brim with Hogsmeade residents and students from Hogwarts.

Pansy latched onto Rowan's hand to drag her further into the pub. Sure enough, at the table in the corner of the room, mostly tucked away from any other human life, were three familiar Slytherin boys. Rowan could have stomped her foot at the sight of Draco and turned right around to go somewhere else, but Pansy's grip on her was iron — and Rowan didn't want to mess up all of the progress she had made.

They must have only argued twice in the past week since the Quidditch match (and yes, maybe it had only been six days and Rowan had been in the hospital wing for the majority of two of them), but this was insane progress for them. Theo seemed very happy at the whole ordeal.

"Pansy, Rowan, come sit down," the boy himself quickly waved them over, running a hand through his brown curls and pushing them off of his head. "Look what I just bought. I thought I'd try getting into photography."

Pansy sat next to Theo so that Rowan was forced onto the side of the booth that Draco was on. He budged up, but with Blaise there too, their shoulders were brushing. Rowan looked straight ahead, acting as though he wasn't sitting beside her.

"That's cool," Pansy said, taking it off of him, making Theo visibly wince. "How much did it cost?"

"400 Galleons," Theo admitted with a gulp, his hands circling Pansy's in fear she would drop it. "So please be very careful!"

Pansy whistled. "Normally people don't buy the most expensive item in the shop when they get into a new hobby, Theo. What if you're absolutely shit at it?"

Theo rolled his eyes. "It wasn't the most expensive camera. It's a good one, anyway. And I won't be shit at it."

"Let me try," Pansy said, but Theo was prying it out of her hands.

"I don't trust you," Theo said, "Look —" He lifted his camera and snapped a photograph of Rowan, Draco, and Blaise sitting together.

The photograph came out of the top, revealing a moving image of the three Slytherins looking equally as surprised by the flash. Pansy plucked it from his hands to look closer.

"Merlin, Pansy!" Theo complained, "You're like a toddler — grabbing everything and asking questions."

Pansy rolled her eyes and slammed the photo back down onto the table. "Have it back then. Sorry for showing an interest in your new hobby."

Theo looked like he felt genuinely bad for a moment, but Pansy added, "Just make sure you don't go spending too much of your money. You'll still want some after Hogwarts."

Rowan shared a small, knowing smile with Pansy.

"Why do you care what Theo spends his money on?" Draco raised his brows. "What are you, a Gringott goblin, Parkinson?"

Pansy scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Just saying, Malfoy."

"I bought myself something as well," Rowan grinned, extending her hand forwards.