21. past loves

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

PAST LOVES

( Sunday 15th February 1998 )

"Is it true that Draco Malfoy bought you roses and let you stay the night?"

Rowan was startled by the unfamiliar voice in her left ear. She turned her head, sending the girl beside her a weirded-out look. She'd half-expected the question to be delivered by none other than Daphne Greengrass herself, however, it was actually a Hufflepuff. And not just some random, nameless Hufflepuff.

It was Lorelei Robertson.

Rowan cleared her throat and placed the book that she'd been scanning the cover of back into its rightful place on the shelf. When Rowan glanced past Lorelei, her throat tightened at a group of girls, all from different houses, standing nearby, clearly trying to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Excuse me?" Rowan considered that maybe she had heard Lorelei wrong.

She was drained after all. She'd had a long night with Draco, and then they'd both been up about nine-ish for Quidditch practice out in the cold. It's safe to say that Rowan didn't even find time alone in the shower — Draco had taken advantage of the fact that she was the only girl on the team, so she was the only one in the changing rooms.

Now she needed to get the Potions essay in for tomorrow morning. She'd hoped to do it with no interruptions.

Lorelei's cheeks began to turn pink and she pushed some of her hair behind her ear. "Sorry. My name is Lorelei Robertson."

Rowan pursed her lips. "Friend of Theo's, right?"

Lorelei winced a little bit. "Yeah, sure. I hate to intrude on your morning... but I was wondering if the rumours are true. Bulstrode said that Greengrass was pissed because Malfoy sent you lots of roses yesterday. And then apparently she spent the night crying because you never came back... As in Malfoy let you actually sleep with him?"

Rowan felt a lump in her throat. She was sure she was doing a bad job at hiding the disgust on her face. She could feel the way her nose was slightly scrunched, her lips lifted into a scowl.

"Are you really asking me this, Robertson?" Rowan dared.

Back down so I don't have to make a complete fool of you, Robertson.

"Well – Well, yeah," Lorelei shrugged, "Malfoy and I have history, so I feel like it's right I know if he's moved on and I can —"

"Listen, Robertson," Rowan cut her off roughly, lowering her voice. "I am sorry if your one night thing with Draco had you thinking he was romantically interested or something, but that's not the case. And even if it was, it's obvious he's with me now, alright? I genuinely don't know what is up with you and half of the other girls at Hogwarts, sending me looks and asking invasive questions, but Draco Malfoy is my boyfriend."

Rowan lifted her head, looking past a sad Lorelei to make eye contact with the gawking girls. "Meaning he is mine."

Romilda Vane scowled. "You're actually official?"

"One hundred percent." Rowan put emphasis on her words. "Have a good day, everybody."

She ended up grabbing the book she'd been looking at before, tucking it under her arm and marching away from the aisle. A hand grabbed her arm before she could make it to where Madam Pince would check the book out for her. Rowan gasped, her eyes widening at the sight of Theo.