15. jealousy

HOW TO BE A HEARTBREAKER

JEALOUSY

( Friday 9th January 1998 )

When Draco announced that he'd booked the pitch for Friday evening, the majority of his team were pissed off — furious that this was the fourth practice already this week, and that it would be eating away at their precious personal time. Everybody was in a mood with him — not that Draco cared. They played somewhat sloppily, their movements more aggressive when he corrected them, the boys all rolling their eyes and whispering when they thought Draco had his back turned.

Everybody was pissed off except Rowan. Again — not that Draco cared, right?

The only reason glancing over at her felt like a short breath of fresh air was because she was the only one actually getting on with his commands — and as much as Draco hated to admit it — doing it perfectly too. Rowan was pretty much the only member of Draco's team that he felt fully confident with for the Ravenclaw match in ten days.

He knew Slytherin would triumph (that much was obvious), but he wanted flying colours. Draco wanted to leave Hogwarts known as the first Slytherin Captain to lead his team to victory in a decade. He craved the sweet taste of victory — and also to see the look on stupid Potter's face when he realised his final year of Quidditch had been a disastrous one.

"Okay, that's enough," Draco snapped frustratedly as he watched Goldhorn nearly get knocked down by a Bludger. "I think it's safe to say that was a complete and utter fucking disaster. I'll see you all Sunday at nine A.M sharp. If any of you are so much as a minute later, I'll have you doing laps until you're dizzy — and then I'll make you carry on."

"I see you're not working towards the record of the most popular Quidditch Captain?" Blaise spoke sarcastically as he flew down beside Draco.

Draco rolled his silver eyes. "I don't care if they hate me. They're all a bunch of tossers."

Blaise released a loud scoff. "Right. Even me?"

"Especially you," Draco quipped as he strapped a Quaffle back into the box. "I heard you mocking me with Inkwood — don't think you got away with it."

"Well it's your fault for booking a last minute practice on a Friday night! You know I had plans with Luna Lovegood? You completely ruined everything," Blaise complained.

Draco's face contorted. "Lovegood? As in Looney Lovegood?"

Blaise jabbed him with his elbow. "Fuck off. She's actually quite cool, alright?"

"You seemed to think Inkwood was quite cool when you were insulting me with him."

Blaise raised a brow and barked a laugh. "Oh, don't be like that. You've been hard on Inkwood all week. Is this because Rowan might like him again?"

Suddenly, Draco looked absolutely furious. He slammed the box shut and whirled around to face his friend. His skin felt hot.

"Absolutely not! Inkwood is the worst of all my Chasers, that's why," Draco growled, "His stupid new broom is nowhere near as good as he clearly thinks it is."

"Was that, like, a metaphor for his penis?" Blaise asked, "Either way, Rowan seems pretty fond of both."

Draco looked disgusted. "Stop talking about her — I really don't give a shit."

"Oh, come on," Blaise laughed, watching his friend pack away. "Rowan was the only one of us that didn't complain the whole time. You should be grateful — cut her some slack maybe."