5: Aware

Athanasia strolled through the Garnet Palace garden with strange feelings in her heart.

My mother... what kind of person could she have been? Where is she now?

With those questions in mind, her thoughts wandered to Jennette.

Jennette was so sweet, so kind... And to think she would be like that with the former 'Forgotten Princess'.

Her father has yet to properly explain why he did that to Jennette; kicking her out so carelessly. And what did he mean by 'niece'?

There was no one else but him in Obelia with eyes like that aside from me and Jennette...

How could he say such things to Jennette? That sweet, simply lovable girl?

Even Athanasia was drawn to her kindness. Jennette wasn't like the maids in the Ruby Palace... But Athanasia started to think twice when she saw the pure look of hatred Jennette gave her before she was dragged away by Duke Alpheus.

She lowered her head in shame, stopping in her tracks. Is this really how I repay her kindness towards me? I must ask father to bring me to where she now resides for me to apologize...huh?

Her attention was taken away from Jennette as she saw red light shining behind the bushes.

In curiosity, she walks towards it. She reached her hand out to push the leaves to the side before suddenly getting dragged down by her arm, as if an unknown force was pulling her down.

Out of shock, she opened her mouth, but couldn't get any sound out.

All she could do was watch as she gets dragged into a black hole down on the...

SNAP!

She pulls free from the force and jumps back, falling on her behind.

She was panting as she held onto her arm.

"YOU!" her head snapped to the direction of the voice. "What are you doing!?" a hand pulled her other arm and she was thrown further back.

"Ouch!" she yelped when she landed on her side this time.

Grass crunched as whoever that was emitted a bright light from his hand and eradicated the black hole, which turned out to be where the red light came from.

She sat up and rubbed her arm in pain of the landing.

"Huh...? Who-?"

"You IDIOT!" he shouted, and her eyes met his. His eyes were ruby red, shining bright as his forehead was obscured by bangs.

His hair was long and dark; longer than even Athanasia's

"What were you planning to do!? Are you trying to die!?" he sounded like he was scolding her...wait, he was.

She stood up and dusted her dress, and she bowed. "I- I'm sorry! I didn't know that it was dangerous..."

After a few minutes of no answer, she looked up.

The man's eyes slightly widened when he finaly realized that Athanasia was the source of... something.

"...oh. Jeez, I was worried for nothing..."

He sighed, "Nevermind, kid. I thought that someone was trying to steal mana..."

He shook his head, "That's behind us now. See you around!" with that, he disappeared into the wind.

Athanasia was confused by that.

Her eyes widened. "Wait! I didn't get your name!"

No reply. He knows how to use magic...? He DID blast that black thing away...

She sighed, disappointed with herself that she couldn't even ask one guy for his name. She walked away.

She was going to ask someone about that guy. He seemed... powerful. And she has questions.

She picked up her pace and eventually returned to the Palace.

-----

Anastasius clutched his arm as it bled heavily.

Damn... that protection spell Claude placed on the girl is too strong... Even without that warlock, I would've still...

He groaned. His disguise was slowly fading away, and he had a headache now.

...whatever. It was a good thing I managed to leave when I could...

He sighed. This isn't going according to plan at all...

-----

Claude knew Anastasius was planning something. It happened before, so there's no doubt it's also on play in this world.

That's why he cast the protection spell without Athanasia, or anyone else's knowledge. For their own goods.

However, he shouldn't be too angry on the son of a wench. He was being manipulated by an ancestor, who was... somehow the strongest Emperor known in Obelia. He didn't want to believe that crap.

As soon as he arrived into this world, he immediately sought for that warlock. Lucas was his name.

He was strong; and the goal of Aeternitas, no matter how stupid it sounds to Claude.

He laid on his bed comfortably.

"This won't be too difficult."

He slept peacefully, somehow aware that Diana was watching him from above proudly.