23: Chances

The next day came by quickly and Athanasia was speeding through the halls faster than usual.

Her father had once again yet to awaken, and the worry drives her mad. That's why, to reassure her once more, she decided earlier to visit her father, just to be sure he was still alive.

She shouldn't be too scared of losing him. She would become Empress if he dies and she was already at the right age. Not to mention he never paid attention to her until last month...

But she didn't want to think that. Her father is the only direct family she had, aside from Jennette and her uncle.

...speaking of her uncle.

The man was staring into space.

Athanasia almost bumped into him before she noticed his silhouette on the floor.

His eyes were... as if he was dead. Gone. Far away.

She blinked in confusion. "...uncle." she called softly, tapping his shoulder. He snapped out of it with a flinch before looking down at her in alarm, his shoulder tense.

The tenseness was lost when he saw it was only her. "Ah. Athanasia." he smiled.

"What brings you here?" he asked. Athanasia glanced at a guard that was just a few meters from them. She didn't know why she felt relieved it wasn't just her and Anastasius.

"I just came to visit father. I'll be off now." she smiled back and continued her quick stride towards her father's room.

She didn't notice but Anastasius' smile disappeared as quick as she left.

-----

Anastasius walked to the garden of the Ruby palace.

Even if it was the place of concubines and wasn't well-budgeted by Claude, it still had a beautiful garden.

But his eyes loomed elsewhere. Not the garden. Not the flowers. Not the palace.

It wasn't the same place but he knew that one of the gardens was where Aeternitas lured him in.

But he is no longer with Anastasius. Anastasius has once again become weak.

His eyes again wandered to space.

Strange.

He could sense a faint presence of dark magic.

It's Claude's curse on himself, obviously, but...

His eyes widened.

It has my mana?

-----

Athanasia arrived at Claude's room and it didn't look any different from the last time she was here, which was yesterday.

Lucas wasn't around, though she doubted he didn't put an extremely powerful magical barrier around, knowing him.

She approached Claude and sat on a chair beside his bedside.

"Father... I hope you awaken soon." she said like any other time she was here alone. Lucas wasn't here all the time, after all. He only decides to come by whenever he senses Claude's mana become too much. This time, it seems to be peaceful.

She frowned as he didn't answer. She should accept it by now; this was her fault for not believeing him. She didn't want Anastasius to die for Jennette, but at the same time she's losing her own father for it...

How stupid of me... Jennette is family, too, but...

A tear drops from her eye like every other time she reminds herself it's all her fault and she lays down next to his arm. Felix was guarding his door this time.

"Father... Please wake up..."

She falls asleep there. Lack of sleep had caught up to her after nights of waiting for him to wake up.

-----

Anastasius could feel that the curse had his mana. But how? No matter how much he wanted the throne, he wasn't actually able to curse him.

And even if he did, it would be Aeternitas' mana, not his... or is that really the answer?

He walked away from there and carefully made his way towards Garnet again.

I should carry out the plan now before anything.

...but.

He stopped a few meters away from Claude's door.

Lucas must have forged a protective spell around the room.

He immediately scrapped the idea and threw it away. Desperation got to him. There was no way he would start the plan when he hasn't even thought much about it yet.

Foolish, foolish Anastasius. How can an Emperor be stupid and desperate?

There's still a chance. His inner voice reasoned. There IS. He knew that. He knew well.

But his chance can wait another day. Another. And another. Until he can take back the throne and make Jennette Crown Princess.

...lately Jennette is the only thing on his mind. How strange.

He again walks away in favor of a new chance.

A new favorable day to strike.

-----

Felix watched Anastasius intently. The man had been walking around all day with a blank stare.

He had witnessed a lot of what he did to Claude back then, so he wasn't in good terms with him.

And the surprise of him being alive still hasn't faded.

But he had to keep a close watch on him now.

Athanasia will be in danger if Anastasius deems Claude's unconsciousness his chance to the throne.