29: Aftermath

And as if the spell was broken, Felix woke up and immediately ran to the room. The spell Anastasius casted was broken the moment he died.

His eyes were as wide as saucers when he saw the amount of blood inside.

Then he noticed Athanasia. Then Anastasius.

"Your highness...!! I just- I didn't know how but–WHAT HAPPENED!?" he said all that in a major panic as he stared at the gaping hole in the middle of Anastasius' chest.

Athanasia had a blank stare.

"You're excused, Felix. You were spelled so you fell asleep."

Her tone was as blank as her gaze.

She looked... dead inside.

"Princess..."

"Felix. Call the maids to clean this up. And... I'm sorry for giving you the cold shoulder the other day."

"It's fine, your highness... I- I'll get going now..." Felix bowed slightly, still unnerved at the bloody sight before him as he walked out to follow her orders. His stuttering was not unnoticed.

But Athanasia could care less right now.

Today, a piece of Athanasia had been broken.

She ordered the knights and maids that arrived at the scene to take the Emperor to another room.

They oblige in a new fear as their Princess' gaze wasn't like the usual she had on.

But she didn't look at any of them while they did their jobs.

Where was anyone when I was in pain...?

She clenched her fists together as Felix arrived in front of her.

"Your highness-"

"Cremate his body." at her indifference, Felix flinched. He gulped, and bowed, knowing who she was referring to. "Of course, your highness."

She left.

-----

Jennette was crying as Athanasia told her about what happened.

She was begging the blonde to tell her everything but Athanasia only told her his last words, which made her cry harder.

Somehow, Athanasia wasn't gleeful seeing Jennette.

Rather, seeing her only made her feel more empty.

The child of the man that attempted to kill her.

Since then, Athanasia has been more cold.

Lucas already knew what happened from the lack of mana presence around him but he didn't understand why Athanasia was so cold to him.

Something happened, though, he was sure.

He also noticed how Athanasia's mana strengthened. She told him that Anastasius stabbed her but somehow the wound healed immediately. Lucas could already tell this girl might surpass her own father.

But Athanasia didn't care.

Months went by since then and the entire Royal property became gloomy and cold. Their Princess was now an exact copy of how the Emperor was before she and Jennette came into his life.

Her practice with magic became more difficult but it wasn't difficult for Athanasia at all. Lucas could tell.

She started acting like the Empress and the more time went by, the more the nobles started to ask questions about the Emperor.

Athanasia would threaten them and they would immediately shut up, noticing how the Princess has become as cold as her father.

Her gaze sharpened; like her father's, as well.

The Empire is still prosperous with foreign treaties with Athanasia doing the workload so no one complained.

If the Emperor had passed away, it was only natural the Princess would take the throne. But she hasn't. Yet.

She started distancing herself from everyone, rarely even staying in the palaces as she would rather work in the castle. She assigned Felix to Claude despite his protests but he couldn't say anymore when he saw the death glare Athanasia gave him.

Jennette had asked Athanasia permission to leave Obelia with Ijekiel and the Alpheus family, who surprisingly took her back in, and she let them leave without arguments.

They all wished the Emperor would finally wake up so the Princess wouldn't end up like him.

He still hasn't so to quell the nobles' questions, Athanasia took the Crown and has become Empress of Obelia.

"All hail Empress Athanasia!"

Was what they all said.

It must have been the coldest Empress coronation in the records.

-----

Lucas hummed as he and Athanasia had tea in the now-repaired Garnet palace garden.

"So. How's your duties been?" he asked, taking a sip of tea. Athanasia also took a sip of hers.

She set it down.

"It's been fine." she took a muffin and ate it. Despite becoming Empress, her sweet tooth didn't change.

It's already been three years since that incident and they got together. Two in Athanasia's term so far.

Lucas isn't Emperor yet though; Athanasia knew she still needed her father's permission.

"Any information about his majesty?"

Athanasia paused. "...I will visit later. Sapphire Palace, I was told."

Lucas hummed, confirming. "Alright. Good luck." they continued to enjoy the silence.

Lucas knows about the good news.