17: Relaxing Afternoons

Claude decided to have tea time with Athanasia in the afternoon.

He took a nap after that charade with Jennette and Anastasius so he was well-rested for the afternoon with his daughter.

Speaking of his daughter, she seemed happier. He likes it this way, his daughter happy, but there was something off about it...

"Athanasia."

Athanasia, having gotten used to him calling out to her suddenly, hummed into her Lippe tea.

"What is it, father?" she asked, jewel eyes bright and as cheery as herself.

Claude squinted his eyes, somewhat suspicious of her attitude today. He was a dad, he knew which attitude was normal and which was off. Though he could tell she was still genuinely happy.

"...has something happened?" Athanasia raised a brow at his question. "No, father. Why do you ask?" she replied, earning a frown from her father.

"I just thought you looked... more happy than usual." like someone else can make you happier than I do... He seriously doubted that. With his riches, love and honor, no one can compare.

...unless.

Athanasia stared into his eyes innocently for a now eighteen-year-old.

"Are you seeing that magician?"

Athanasia's face blew full red.

That confirmed his suspicions.

"Is that so..." he put a hand to his forehead, distressed that it was no different from his own world. Let me guess... the warlock asked her to dance later on?

It was genuine companionship between them before, and since this world is still the same in some ways, he doubted the magician would ever hurt Athanasia.

But how can he be a dad if he doesn't want to punch that warlock in the face right now, for gaining his daughter, the Crowned Princess' attention?

Athanasia was fumbling with her words but slowly noticed that Claude didn't look happy for her. Her voice toned down and she looked slightly disappointed, but started smiling again.

"Well, it's... fine, if you don't accept him yet, father... though I hope I can convince you in the near future..." she smiled up at him sincerely.

Claude looked back at her and knew her smile was drooping.

He took a deep breath.

He also wasn't a dad if he made his child unhappy. He knew Lucas would never hurt her if they did get together.

He sighed once again, lifting his head to look clearly at her.

Athanasia found herself mesmerized with his golden locks that were highlighted by the sunlight, but she shook her head and snapped out of it, looking back into her father's eyes that were the same as hers.

"Fine. If he wants to dance with you later, I will allow it."

Athanasia lit up, eyes filled with shiny, ivory stars, twinkling in glee.

"Thank-"

"But,"

Athanasia tilted her head to the side.

No dating until the day I die.

It remained unsaid. Claude knew Athanasia wouldn't be happy with it.

"NO dating until twenty. Understood?"

Athanasia's brows lifted at Claude's words and she laughed into her hand, amused.

"Of course, father! Thank you!" she smiled brightly at him, eyes closed.

Claude smiled back, the wind swaying his hair to the side, his own jewels twinkling in delight.

"Good

"Good."

He couldn't help but feel the warmth once again envelope his heart.

-----

Jennette awkwardly stared at Anastasius.

"So... um... what's your name, mist- father?" it felt strange; the word 'father' coming out of her tongue but towards a different person. She tries her best to adapt, though.

The blond man that looked a lot like the Emperor looked straight into her eyes, his own staring almost lazily.

So those are what you call falsely docile-looking eyes.

She wasn't that stupid; she reads books too sometimes, you know?

The man hums quietly. "Anastasius. Anastasius de Alger Obelia."

Jennette 'oh's'. It wasn't this hard to communicate with mister before, but maybe that was because he always had a smile on in every step of her way.

The sunlight really highlights Anastasius' features. He does look a lot like the Emperor.

From his blond hair similar in color to his brother and to his face shape. Nothing else though aside from the eyes.

At Jennette's silence, Anastasius sighed.

"...I was the former Emperor, before the bastard took the spot." he explained briefly.

Jennette's green eyes widened at that. So her father was the former Emperor all along?

Maybe next time she should research before anything else...

Her father lays back down, pulls the blinds down and he closes his eyes.

That was the end of the conversation and Jennette finds herself bored with nothing to do.

With nothing to do, she decides to just sleep as well, because the magician that she remembered fighting vividly told her that her mana was unbalanced because of the sudden loss of half of it.

Lucas was his name, she thinks. Now that she thhinks about it, it was also him that made his way to her room in the other palace and barged in like an intruder.

That night still haunts her, and it was only two days ago...

She shakes her head and lays it on the pillow.

She should rest.

She still has a lot to talk about with her biological father.