27: Caught

Jennette's eyes were wide with shock when she saw that her father had so much blood on his clothes.

He didn't answer her questions and ignored her as he treated himself in another room.

The maids were all cleaning in other palaces so it was just the two of them in the entire building.

Anastasius later told her that they won't be moving out yet so he only changed rooms, leaving Jennette with her own room.

While Jennette never actually minded their living conditions (the palace was being funded handsomely by Athanasia), her father wanted them to move into Garnet... she never questioned, because if she did he would give her a terrifying gaze.

He was her father...surely his heart didn't hold the feeling of his gaze. Murderous.

She could only hope now.

-----

Another week passed. Athanasia hasn't been better. Since Claude was not making any public appearance, Athanasia had to fill in for him with an excuse of 'his majesty is resting'.

No one is questioning her...yet.

She knew they would, eventually, though. And with Alpheus there, she was sure they were already suspecting something as she ordered for the Royal gates to close.

But not much has been said. Probably because she was a newly-crowned Princess, and they must have already assumed that the Emperor just wanted her to gain experience for the future.

She was also the one attending to the Royal duties and paperworks of her father, much to her dismay. Work has been piling onto her shoulders and she almost wondered how her father balances these things.

And she was also balancing her magic training with Lucas and some of her classes.

The past week seems to be the most stressful time of her life.

She hasn't even been able to spend time with Jennette or her father and the lack of company in what used to be her father's office was unsettlingly lonely.

Felix visited from time to time but only when other knights passed by her father's room.

The more the days pass, the more regret her heart burdens. It gets heavier the more she loses sleep.

But she has to stay strong.

And so she does.

After learning some protection spells from Lucas, she cast one on her father's bedroom that would alert her when someone with bad intentions come inside.

Whenever Felix or Lucas did, nothing happened.

But that night, she felt something.

She didn't move from her bed as she continued to feel it.

It was not strong, but it was there. Anyone who comes in that have horrible intentions are hurt by the various spells Lucas cast, so it was strange that someone would dare bleed just to get to her father.

She knew someone who would. Naturally.

So carefully, she walked towards her father's room and Felix was surprisingly asleep on the side.

Peculiar. She thought as she slowly opened the door only a crack. She tried to see through it and she did.

A bit of light was shone and she saw...

She jumps back when the figure turned their head towards the door.

She wasn't able to see properly and the bright flash of light from inside indicated that they teleported away.

This time she ran inside, slamming the door open, waking Felix.

He immediately stood up looked inside the room in a panic. "Princess! What happened!?"

Athanasia was checking her father for any injuries before sighing when she found he was okay, alive, and breathing. She took a deep breath.

"Robain." Felix flinched at her dark tone.

She side-glanced him with distaste. "Sleeping on the job? What kind of Knight are you?"

That hurt. It stung his heart how the Princess could say that to him.

"I apologize, your high..."

"Forget it. Just don't do it again."

Then she left, leaving Felix there all alone. The red-haired knight frowned as he knew he messed up and almost endangered the Emperor's life.

With one last look at Claude's state, he returned to his post, shutting the door.

Maybe it's from the stress, but...

He didn't like the thought.

Princess Athanasia is becoming more like his majesty...

-----

Anastasius returned to his quarters quietly, without alerting anyone or Jennette. No one was around, not even a maid, and it's not like Jennette would be alerted; she was usually asleep around this time.

Another fail for me.

He always said that until his determination–just flatlined, and he would give up and go to bed for another day.

He can't possibly keep this going. Athanasia almost caught him. If she did... he can always just kill her.

Having a divine beast doesn't mean she can use magic, after all. So it won't be difficult at all.

Only Lucas is the difficult piece to play here. Only him.

He sighed as he closed his eyes.

One last time. He thought. He would finally kill him.

-----

Lucas returned to his tower and found Raven gone.

His equipment were all savagely messed around, as if someone had a tantrum and threw all his stuff in different directions.

What the hell?

-----

The next morning, as Athanasia had her morning tea in her father's chambers...

...she coughed blood.