7: Pre-Coronation Banquet

A week later and Athanasia was forced to get dressed by maids.

Not that she didn't mind, it's just that... She wasn't familiar with good maids, maids that didn't give her dirty stares.

Soon enough, she was dressed.

She looked in the mirror and wow, she had never looked so... Beautiful? Was that the word?

She felt embarrassed by the maids' compliments. They were all so kind, and gentle with her. So unlike the maids in Ruby Palace.

She leaves the room, and she meets eyes with Felix. He lights up and his eyes widen upon seeing her. "Wow! Princess, you look amazing!"

Stars were sparkling in his eyes as he stared at Athanasia's beauty.

He shakes his head, "Anyway, I'll escort you to his majesty." he smiles at her one last time before leading her outside the Palace. A carriage was ready to take them to the destination of the banquet.

This is so much like the debutante ball, Athanasia thiught awkwardly as Felix scooted to the side to show Claude. But it wasn't this grand and with the Emperor.

Claude wore a formal outfit, fit exactly for the Empire's ruler, and he smiled when he saw her.

He held out his gloved hand towards Athanasia and she took it gently, also amazed at how he can pull off simple and extremely fancy at the same time.

"Shall we?" Claude questioned and she nodded. "We shall."

-----

The nobles were chattering in disbelief as news of the Emperor himself announcing to everyone that the formerly-forgotten Princess Athanasia was going to be coronated as Crowned Princess.

They all couldn't believe what they were hearing but the Emperor's words were law. They could say nothing against it lest they want to become headless.

However, they quieted when Ijekiel and Jennette went together through the double doors. Duke Alpheus was behind them, trailing after them, which was strange since he was usually in the front but Jennette, nor anyone for that matter, cared.

She was still enraged with what happened a month ago with the Emperor and Athanasia, as she clutched Ijekiel's arm tightly with obvious anger.

The boy felt uncomfortable but... he couldn't question Jennette with her expression of a completely fake modest smile.

She acted as if she wasn't bothered by the fact Athanasia took her father's affection in a day while she took exactly 4 years just to win his favor.

After settling at the corner of the massive room full of guests, the nobles started whispering about the 'Princess'.

"It's her, right? No one else looks like her..."

"It is, it's Jennette de Alger Obelia..."

"Why did his majesty decide to make the forgotten Princess crowned, instead of Jennette...?"

"I know right? Jennette must be better for his majesty to favor her for years..."

Jennette couldn't help but swell in pride as she knew the nobles were on her side, because of her previous influence.

"But isn't it possible that maybe Princess Athanasia is simply more worthy? You've seen how she was in the debutante ball. Well-mannered and well-taught. While Princess Jennette wasn't that educated in etiquette..."

Jennette didn't listen to those remarks, because the majority was on her side. She continued to smile, acting as if this was just some big mistake, despite the event being a pre-coronation banquet for Athanasia.

But, Ijekiel listened intently, suspicious of his own father, whom never took his eyes off of the door to the other end of the room, where the royals would go through.

There was a red, sudden shine in his yellow eyes.

Ijekiel narrowed his eyes towards 'Duke Alpheus'.

Just who are you, really?

Jennette's grip tightened.

-----

Athanasia nervously gulped.

Claude noticed her nervousness. Just like the debutante ball, He thought.

He offered his hand to his daughter and she noticed, taking it almost immediately.

"Calm down." Claude comforted. "It won't be hard to go through this for someone with prodigious skills." he smiled down at her, meaning the compliments.

Athanasia's heart rate slowly returned to normal. Something about a father comforting their child gave her the feeling of safety; much more if it's the ruler of an Empire.

She gulped one last time before smiling back up at him and nodding. "...of course, father."

She had finally gotten used to calling him that.

And right now, he was just that.

He held onto her hand gently, and she did the same.

Felix stood beside them, smiling, as other royal guards opened the doors for the duo to enter through.

Claude smiled again, although Athanasia was too focused on the front to see it.

Athanasia will finally become Crowned Princess... A luxury that even I hadn't been able to experience.

The doors opened and they slowly presented themselves to the nobles attending inside.

This will be the best coronation in Obelia's history. For me and Diana's beloved daughter.