37: Pop

Athanasia changed her clothes using magic and walked towards a specific part of the Garnet Palace, a part that even Claude has not yet explored since he woke.

She stared at the jar coldly; emotionlessly.

It had no name.

But she knew who's remains lay there.

"Did you miss her?" she asked to no one but the jar.

It remained still. Unmoving. Lifeless.

Lifeless because of her.

"Hmph. I should not expect anything from the likes of you."

She turned on her heel and walked away from it.

She knows one day she will bring Jennette here and tell her everything about her father; good to bad.

Just to make sure she doesn't end up like him.

-----

Jennette couldn't believe her eyes.

A papercut was visible on her aunt's cheek.

"Anyone with bad intentions," Athanasia's words rang in her head like a church bell.

Auntie... Has bad intentions towards me? She thought, gulping.

Jennette supressed the urge to gasp and back away. Bad intentions can be anything to something as simple as telling her bad news to make her sad, but after learning of what Rosalia tried to do before Athanasia's coronation, Jennette immediately knew she wasn't going to be light on her.

The Judith Countess just smiled down at her, not noticing the cut on her cheek. Jennette always thought she was the only person who truly cared for her like family.

Once again, that wasn't the case.

She smiled at her aunt before walking up the stairs towards her room with her luggage.

She could feel her aunt's stare burn into her back.

-----

Ijekiel knew something was up with his father and Jennette's aunt. They've been talking in hushed voices in his father's office for already a month and Jennette never seemed to take notice of her aunt's random rendezvous outside the manor.

Ijekiel knew the Countess didn't venture out the manor much until Jennette came and lived with her.

Ijekiel has finally realized how truly rotten the world is towards Jennette.

How can Jennette be so oblivious? Surely she's aware of how everyone treats her. Or is she simply too innocent to even try? It seems even to Ijekiel he is the only one truly there for Jennette. He is the only one who would stay by her side if even his father and her aunt abandoned her.

He loves her.

He hopes that she will realize it soon; that she doesn't need more than one person to know that she is loved.

-----

Meanwhile, Jennette was preparing to sleep.

She felt more at ease sleeping with knowledge that Athanasia had a protection spell around her.

And with that smile Athanasia gave her, she was sure the Athanasia from three years ago is still there, the caring and good Athanasia. Not that the current Athanasia is bad, the Empire has been prospering in every corner because of her, but... well, the protection spell she cast on Jennette as a safety measure seems to solidify that the sweet, kind Princess Athanasia from before is still somewhere there inside her.

With that, she slept peacefully that night, with only a few thoughts about what had transpired earlier that week.

Without realizing, as soon as she fell asleep, someone slid the window to her room open and creeped in.

They were on the tip of their toes to not make any sound and it seemed to be working as they got closer to Jennette before all of a sudden--

-----

Jennette immediately woke up.

There was a sound of popping. Like, a balloon popping.

Then she felt as if her entire body was wet. As if someone had dumped a bucket of--something on her body.

What is happening... Even her hands were wet as she reached for the lamp. Is this a dream?

As the light flickered on, she thought it was because instead of the usual yellow hue it was...

Red.

Jennette sat up in alarm.

Her eyes widened.

She screamed.

Her entire room was filled with blood.

-----

"I doubt you're just going to give someone with bad intentions around the girl a papercut." Lucas rolled his eyes when Claude glared at him for simply speaking.

It was dinner now, and Lucas was joining them in the Garnet Palace.

Athanasia swallowed her food before wiping her mouth with a napkin.

"I didn't say they weren't going to explode."

Claude and Lucas just stared as she continued to eat like she didn't just say what she did.