13: Possessed

Jennette woke up to the sounds of people cheering. She couldn't see them because the window only faced the garden of the palace but they were loud enough that she thought there was a festival.

What was the occasion again?

...

...right.

Athanasia's... coronation.

She clenched her fists together tightly. How could they do this to her? She's stuck here, and they're all just celebrating like she didn't exist! All that hard work of getting them on her side wasted!

Why is this hurting her? Why does it hurt to realize her father and sister- that everyone- doesn't care about her?

Did they ever even care about her?

She felt left out.

The Alpheus family still hadn't taken her back.

Was she just a pawn to them? Was she just stupid, or naive, to think they wouldn't ever leave her, even after she fails them? Did they take her in just because she was a royal, who could have taken the throne and given them more power?

Everything broke. All her expectations shattered as soon as she remembered everything that was going on.

They left her.

They abandoned her.

She stood up and tried the door knob. It was still locked.

She once again fell to her knees.

Do I need to be like Athanasia, for father to accept me once again?

Negative thoughts started filling her head as she doubted everything that she had done in her life so far.

Tears, like last night, streamed down her face like a waterfall.

Her heart again ached in despair.

What did I do to deserve this...?

Her dark mana once again swirled out of her as her feelings poured out like rain.

Without her knowledge, a presence sneaks up behind her.

The dark presence merges with her overflowing dark mana and it hovers above her menacingly.

Jennette's eyes glowed red

-----

Anastasius' eyes widened.

A hand was through his chest. Blood slipped through the side of his lips.

He fell to his knees.

His magic was too low for him to be able to teleport. He would... die here.

No... His jewel eyes tried to look for who did it and his shock was as high as mount everest.

"...Je...nette...?" he managed to mutter as the once innocent young girl he knew looked down at him coldly.

Her eyes were jewels, but... Red.

She said nothing as she simply walked away, uncaring that she saw him out of his disguise.

Anastasius believed that Jennette wouldn't be easily persuaded, but it couldn't be helped. Carax... has taken over her conscience.

It's over for him.

And just like this... Hah... What a pitiful end...

He closed his eyes.

-----

Felix was quick to find Anastasius on the ground, a hole on his back to his chest and bleeding heavily from both ends.

His eyes widened. The Emperor was right!

Claude had ordered him to go to this destination. He would find Anastasius. But he didn't expect to find the former Emperor in this state.

He quickly runs over to the body and, surprisingly, he managed to still be alive.

Suddenly, he got goosebumps. A wave of dangerously strong mana all of a sudden terrorized his surroundings.

But he didn't have time to investigate it. He swiftly carries Anastasius and they teleport.

Jennette didn't look back, even as Felix came and took Anastasius.

She only focused on the voice.

Kill them all.

-----

Claude and Athanasia went back to the Garnet Palace.

Athanasia was finally crowned. Tomorrow, the after-coronation ball would begin. They would party and Claude would let Athanasia enjoy her time to her heart's content.

They were just about to part ways to go to their designated rooms before Felix rushed in, having teleported after dropping Anastasius for the magician to heal.

"Sire!" he called loudly. If he was just any other knight Claude would have already beheaded him for his disrespect towards him, the Emperor, and the Crowned Princess.

He arrived in front of them, taking a deep breath to repay for his missing stamina.

"What?" Claude asked rudely. Felix shook his head, "Sire," again, "The Former Emperor was gravely injured when I found him." Athanasia's brows lifted in alarm at that.

Claude raised a brow. "And?"

Felix and Athanasia were stunned by his casuality. Felix frowned in confusion at his ruler. "He was-"

A bright light shone and Lucas appeared at their side.

Felix's eyes widened upon seeing the warlock.

"Someone's running rampant, your majesty." Lucas said almost sarcastically, bowing.

Claude squinted his eyes at Lucas as Felix and Athanasia stared at them cluelessly.

"...who's running rampant?" Athanasia asked.

Lucas glanced at her and his eyes settled on her shiny jewel eyes, lifting his head. He hummed. "Who knows. Maybe a... cousin?"

Athanasia looked more confused, and so did Felix, as the knight listened.

Claude glared at Lucas for some reason as the warlock was staring at Athanasia. Claude sighed, mouth closed.

His eyes steeled, warmth from before long gone.

"Deal with the pest."

At the order of the Emperor, Lucas bowed again with a sinister smirk before teleporting away in another flash of light.

Claude ordered Felix to take ten steps back and Felix obliged, not having any other choice in the matter.