39: Shock

"So, what are you planning?"

Athanasia ignored Lucas' question as she scribbled on the paperwork. The warlock frowned in annoyance.

"Hey. What are you planning?" he pressed. However, once again, the Empress ignored him, her hand not once stopping to acknowledge him.

Lucas sighed, sounding almost like a groan. "Athanasia, I'm going to ask for the last time. What are y-"

The Empress raised a hand, shushing him immediately.

Her lips were pressed into a thin line. "Father just told me that you will not be Emperor once we get married."

Lucas raised a brow. "So?" he questioned. And to his surprise, Athanasia's eyes went wide.

"How are you so calm!? Father is saying we're not allowed to marry each other!"

Lucas rolled his eyes. "It's normal. Since you're an Empress you'll have a Prince consort, even after you get married." at his explanation, the Empress had a dumbfounded expression. She then squinted her eyes at him, as if unbelieving, before taking a deep breath and sinking her head to the desk. Lucas' brows both lifted. "Don't tell me- you didn't know about that?"

"Now I do." she muttered, looking ashamed that she didn't know of it beforehand. What kind of Empress was she?

Lucas stared at her for a moment before sighing, closing his eyes and leaning back on the comfy sofa. "After all this time, you're still a child after all, Athanasia."

The Empress didn't protest. She knew well enough it was stupid of her to not know.

So much for being intelligent... The room stayed quiet for a minute before she straightened her back and continued her work.

"About my plan." she finally continued and this made Lucas sit up straighter.

"Countess Rosalia Judith will first be stripped of her title, in front of all the nobles attending." Lucas hummed, signalling that he was listening.

She continued, "...and you know what will happen next."

The warlock nodded, a wicked grin starting to form on his face. He only needed confirmation. He did know what was next.

-----

Royal guards went to the Judith manor and escorted Jennette to the Royal Castle with a carriage.

She arrived and the nobles greeted her when she arrived.

The Empress and the former Emperor had yet to arrive, so they all spoke with each other before whatever this meet-up was about commenced.

Soon enough, they were all silenced ss the Royals came in.

First came the Empress and behind her followed Claude and Felix.

Felix had been off from his duty a few days ago to deal with some family matters (since he'll be taking up the family business as the Duke soon) so he has only been seen today since he left the Royal property.

They all bowed in greeting at the Royals as Athanasia sat on the throne in front of the whole banquet hall.

Claude sat on the other throne. Yes; there are now two thrones on the banquet hall.

Felix was in the middle of the Empress and former Emperor as the nobles all rose from the bow.

Jennette knew that today would be the day her aunt would... be executed. No one seemed aware though.

Everyone now knew that Jennette was not truly Royal blood but no one questioned if she was actually Claude's daughter or Anastasius'. They just thought that Jennette simply wasn't able to inherit the jewel eyes and the eyes she had before were fake. No one blamed her for that, and it seems her influence on them really paid off.

Either way, no one in the room aside from her and the Royals knew of what her aunt did.

Without doubt, she was nervous and scared at the same time.

She exchanged glances with Ijekiel who was in the other side of the room and he smiled at her softly. Roger Alpheus forced him to look away from Jennette.

The brunnette honestly felt hurt at that gesture of the Duke who raised her for half of her life.

"Enjoy yourselves." the Empress started, shutting all of them up. "There will be a particularly important even after you eat."

And then, the banquet resumed and the nobles resumed speaking with one another.

Jennette tried to keep her mind off of her aunt. What she did still hurts her deeply but... she cannot miss her. She cannot miss the person that attempted to kill her.

She needed to grow up and steel her hurt, like Athanasia did.

With that, she suck it up and spoke with other young women her age.

This can keep her mind off of the events for a while.

-----

Empress Athanasia eyed every guest that attended her hosted banquet. "Now that you've finished, the event with commence."

After she said that, the whole banquet hall was swallowed by a bright light, blinding everyone, until it dispersed and they were all in stands of some sort.

"Take a seat." the Empress continued, watching as the nobles hesitantly did so.

They all looked uncertain, even Felix did but Athanasia was not in the mood to be considerate with the cattle.

At a single flick of her wrist, the doors bellow opened and the nobles all stared, surprised beyond their wits, as Countess Rosalia Judith was dragges in by guards, dried blood on her attire.

She was screaming for them to let her go, begging, and crying, as everyone watched with shock and some-disgust.

"Your majesty, what is this travesty!?" one of the Marques exclaimed loudly.

The other nobles started to speak with one another about this, all with grim expressions.

"Do not assume anything."

The Empress' cold voice all sent a chill down the nobles' spines as she sent all of them glares.

"This vile wench of a woman attempted the worst against the Royal blood." she continued, catching a small glimpse of Jennette's green eyes staring into hers.

"Worst against the Royal blood...?" they whispered to each other.

Duke Alpheus looked the most uncomfortable and shocked of the bunch, and so did Ijekiel as he went to Jennette's side, completely ignoring his father calling him.

"But, your majesty, what has Countess Ju-" the nobleman shut up with a raise of the Empress' hand.

Claude just watched from the sidelines as all this was happening, seemingly intrigued with Athanasia's power against the nobles.

He was impressed, and it says a lot.

However, Athanasia just looked straight, not bothering to acknowledge her father's impressed gaze. But Claude knew she was proud of herself, for many reasons.

Athanasia closed her eyes, as if trying to inch herself away from the reality of the situation.

She took a deep, steady breath. Lucas watched from the other side of the stands.

"Today, an execution will be taking place for the attempted murder of an Obelian Royal."