Chapter Forty Six

A/N: *Le gasp* Is this a hallucination?! NO! It is indeed an update.

Javier:

"We need to talk." As soon as the words left Yuzu's mouth, the air in my lungs disappeared and I wanted to slam my head on the nearest flat surface over and over again. Shit. I'd been hoping to avoid 'talking' for as long as we could, but there was a look in his eyes that told me he wasn't going to let this ...whatever this day had been...go on for much longer.

"Yuzu." I sighed and pulled a chair closer to his bed so I could sit down. "What - "

"How are you even here?" He muttered sleepily. "Aren't visiting hours over?"

"I wanted to stay with you." I answered honestly and his eyes widened.

"Why?"

"Why not?"

"I broke up with you." He whispered.

"And I still love you." I shrugged and his lips pinched together. "I love you. And you're hurt. I told you I don't like seeing you in pain. How can you I stay away from you?"

"Anata wa sono - " He started shaking his head.

"Hai. Ore wa bakadesu." I meant to say it with conviction but I was tired and looking at him, REALLY looking at him, for so long was starting to make my chest hurt. Tears sprung in my eyes unexpectedly and I looked down at my hands in my lap for a second so I could try to remember everything I'd wanted to say to him in the last few weeks.

"I miss you." I mumbled eventually. 3 words. Out of all the words shouting at me in my head, those were the loudest. They were so simple, but the weight of them pushed the tears hanging on the corner of my eyes down my face. "I miss you so much I don't know what to do with myself."

"Javi."

"Don't say it."

"What do you want me to say?"

"That when you fell you knocked your head and now you have amnesia and we can forget any of this shit happened?" I scoffed out loud when I looked up and his face was still serious. "Oh, come on that was at least just a little funny."

"I told you why we can't be together." He mumbled.

"No, you gave me some lame excuse that you expected me to swallow and then kicked me out of your house. I was too confused to even try defend myself." I tried to keep from raising my voice.

"It's not stupid." He replied, eyes flaming now and sitting up in bed. "It's my life. My career."

"Yuzu, I understand that this..." I waved my hands around for some reason. "World you live in is intense. We're both professional athletes. I get that."

"So why can't you understand that being together is just a distraction that - "

"Because I fucking love you!" I hissed at him. "There are things in this world I love a lot. My family. My friends. Skating. But none of them even come close to how you make me feel. Not even close." I started choking on my own words but they wouldn't stop spewing from my mouth. "God, I don't even...It's driving me crazy because I'm starting to feel like this past year...everything I thought we were feeling together, I was really just feeling alone. And as much as I want you to love me back, I can't force you to. I can't force you to love me, Yuzu."

It was difficult to look him in the eye, but I squared my shoulders and took a deep breath. "But I'm willing to fight to stay by your side until the day you tell me you hate me ..." I saw his mouth open and I rushed to finish "And mean it. Look me in the eye and say it. I'll leave right now." I shivered with adrenalin and wondered what I would do if he actually did it, but for the longest time he just looked at me before sighing quietly and sinking back into his bed.