Chapter Nineteen

Yuzuru:

"So they'll be here a little before noon. Is that OK with you two?" Coach Brian asked as Javi and I warmed up on the ice.

"Yeah."

"Mmhmm."

"We can start with the interview and then they asked if it was alright to film you on the ice for a bit." He continued.

"Sure." Javi nodded but I huffed in annoyance.

"How long is a bit?"

"Not long. An hour, maybe." I skidded to a stop.

"An hour?!" I gasped. "No."

"Yuzu." Javi chuckled as he paused next to me.

"Javi." I said in the same tone. "An hour is too long." I argued.

"Half an hour?" He offered.

"15 minutes." I countered and folded my arms over my chest. He snorted out loud and poked one of my cheeks gently.

"Are you worried people are going to find out your nickname is Dumpling?" He said just quiet enough for me to hear. I could feel my eye twitching minutely.

"10." I said loudly, facing Coach Brian again. "10 minutes. That's my final offer."

"Yuzuru..." He looked a little frustrated but I wasn't going to be dissuaded by sulky faces.

"Can we start practice already?" I grumbled and kicked off, doing laps down the length of the ice to calm the thumping in my head.

"Yuzu." Javi said from behind me but I ignored him. "Yuzu." He tried again. "Hey. Sumimasen." He said louder and I almost tripped over my feet.

"What ..." I stared at him in surprise.

"What?" He looked a little embarrassed. "I thought I'd learn a few things." He muttered and sighed as he stopped beside me again. "Yuzu...If you really don't want to do this, you don't have to, you know. We'd all understand." He looked at me sincerely as he moved to hold my hand. I jerked it back quickly and motioned with my eyes that we were essentially out in public and he should behave.

"It's OK. Coach Brian knows. He won't say anything." He said, like it was completely normal.

"What?" I hissed at him and tried desperately not to feel a little betrayed. "You told him?"

"No." He shook his head. "He ...might have... seen us yesterday." He scratched the back of his neck. "I'm sorry. I should have texted you when I found out. It completely slipped my mind. Are you mad?" Was I mad? A little...I had always been and always would be a very private person...So the fact that someone knew my business when I hadn't told them myself grated on my nerves like you wouldn't believe...

I wasn't that mad though. Coach Brian had already proved to be more accepting than most coaches I knew in the business. Was it because he was gay too? Whatever the reason... if there was one other person I would have trusted to tell my secret, it would have been him anyway. Even in the short time I've known him, he's grown very much to being close to a father figure just like Javi had said once.

"I'm not mad." I whispered to Javi. "But you still shouldn't do things like that in public." He grinned at me and slid closer to whisper in my ear.

"I can't help it. You're so cute when you pout."

"I wasn't pouting." I huffed indignantly.

"Right." He chuckled and skated off towards Coach Ghislain who had just walked into the rink.