Chapter Fifteen

Yuzuru:

I was dead. I had been so lost in Javi's presence that I forgot all about the time and my mother...

"I'm gonna go." Javi whispered next to me and I nodded to him, standing up and watching my mother's eyes follow him as he headed towards the door. "Mrs Hanyu." He said to her, but she merely stared at him in silence. Javi cleared his throat gently and gave me one more look over his shoulder. 'I'll see you tomorrow' he mouthed and disappeared out the door. Tomorrow...

"Wait!" I had completely forgotten that I still had his flask with me. I had been surprised to see it on the bench at the rink when I'd been leaving. When had he even found the time to make me hot chocolate? I scrambled around the kitchen until I found it and bolted out the door after him. "Javi, wait." I called out and he stopped by the elevator. "I forgot to give this back to you." I said when I caught up to him.

"Thank you." He smiled and I saw his eyes flicker behind me before he took the flask from me and gave me a soft kiss on the cheek. "Are you going to be OK?" He asked.

"I'll be fine." I tried to give him my best smile so he wouldn't worry, but I honestly had no idea what my mother would do when I went back to the hotel suite.

"You sure?"

"Mmhmm. I'll text you." I said, pushing him towards the opening elevator doors.

"I'll be waiting." He said and the doors closed slowly over his worried face. I stood there for a long minute watching the numbers go down as I worked up the courage to walk back to my room.

I flexed my hands as I stepped through the door, but my mother wasn't waiting for me. Instead I found her in the kitchen, unpacking the groceries she'd bought to restock the fridge. I hovered by the table, sweating and anxious, but she didn't say anything. When she started pulling out pots to make supper, I snapped.

"Okaasan." I blurted. She stayed quiet. "Okaasan..."

"Can you get the oyster sauce for me?" She asked. "It's in the - "

"Ha - hahaoya..." I stuttered as I started to choke and she froze with her hand on the stove's dial. I hadn't called her that in years. "Please just say something..." I whispered and she pursed her lips before she turned to face me properly.

"Yuzuru..." She started and my shoulders tensed painfully. "Did you think I didn't know? I've known you were ...gay for a long time now." I had to commend her for not stumbling over that word like I would have. But ...what?

"What?"

"I know you think...that I don't notice things." She smiled gently. "But I know you, better than anyone." She reached out with both her hands and cupped my warming cheeks. "I know when my baby falls in love with something he wants."

"I don't..." I stammered. It was hard to breathe.

"Is this really why you wanted to come to Canada to train?" She asked. "Did you want to be with him?" I shook my head carefully. Honestly, my decision to move to Canada had had everything to do with Javi, but not for this. He really was one of the best skaters in the world right now. Someone who I could compete with who kept me on my toes and the rush of it was intoxicating. I was drawn to it. Drawn to him. All I had wanted to do was skate with him. Now it was just...more.

"OK." My mother said simply and pinched my cheeks. "OK, I will try to believe you."

"Okaasan." I whined softly and she giggled.