Chapter Forty Four

Javier:

When Yuzu's mother had called me to tell me Yuzu was back in Canada, I had almost passed out with relief. Somehow in my flu delirium a couple of weeks ago, a thought had drifted in that maybe, just maybe, Yuzu would consider moving back to Japan for the rest of his training. Since then I'd been a ball of anxiety waiting for Coach Brian to call me to tell me.

"You need to speak to him, Javi. He's not OK."

"I've BEEN trying to speak to him." I sighed and pulled at my hair at a loss. "He doesn't want to speak to me."

"Javi, he...he tried to burn everything you gave him a while ago."

"WHAT?"

"I managed to stop him but...Javi, please. He needs to see you. I've never seen him like this before."

"Is he home right now?"

"No, He's at..." There was some rustling in the background and she was back again. "He's at Mattamy Athletic Centre right now. There's a charity skating program he's participating in tonight. Maybe you can find a way to speak to him there?"

"Okaasan..." I sighed heavily and gripped the phone tighter. "Arigatou."

"Nonsense. You don't need to thank me." She murmured.

"I thought you didn't like me before."

"I didn't." She replied plainly.

"I'm glad you do now." I swallowed hard and she tsked at me through the phone.

"Hurry hurry. You need to get down there before the show starts."

"Thanks again." I gushed and hung up quickly, grabbing my coat and keys.

Traffic was horrible at this time of the day and I had to catch myself from ramming into the cars in front of me so they would move faster.

"Come on, come on." I mumbled to myself until finally FINALLY I got the the Mattamy Centre.

I wanted to scream when security wouldn't let me in through the back because I didn't have anything with me that proved I was allowed back there. I could have called Coach Brain to speak with the head of security but he was busy all the way at the other side of the stadium and I was in too much of a rush to be even the smallest bit patient.

"Sorry." I whispered as I pushed my way through people a little rougher than I normally would but I had to get to Yuzu before he went back to the dressing rooms and they wouldn't let me in again. "Sorry, can I please just..." I squeezed past a girl who was recording on her phone and my heart nearly beat out of my throat.

There he was, gliding across the ice like the Ice Prince he was. It didn't matter how many times you watched Yuzu skate. It took your breath away every single time. My hands shook as I tried to find a way to get close enough to him to get his attention.

"Hey, excuse me, but that was really rude. You should apologize to my friend for - OMG." The young girl who had just come up to me stopped talking and pointed at my face. "JAVI!" She shouted and everyone in the surrounding seats swung around to look at me at once. Any other time it would have been funny, but not right now. I just needed to get to -

A hollow crack echoed inside the arena and all the once, there was a deathly silence. The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I turned around slowly to see what everyone was looking at. There have been many times in my life when I'd been afraid; the worst had probably been moving to a foreign country all by myself to pursue a career that no one had any faith I would be successful in. But looking across the ice and seeing Yuzu lying still in the middle of the rink was another level of scary I couldn't even begin to explain.