Chapter Twenty Four

A/N: Meh. That is all.

Yuzuru:

"I'll be back as soon as your season starts." My sister said and I raised my eyebrow. Usually she didn't show up to my competitions anymore. She said it was boring because no one skated better than I did. "What?" She shrugged and tucked her hair under her beanie. "This year might actually be a little more interesting."

"And this season is important." My mother added, petting my shoulders. "You're getting ready for the Olympics. We want to give you as much support as we can."

"Yeah, what she said." Sana pointed her thumb at our mother who gave her a hard look.

"Don't point your finger at me."

"It's my thumb."

"I'll still break it."

"Your taxi is here." I interrupted their bickering which turned into hugs all around and I waved goodbye to my sister as she drove away. I was a little surprised when I realized I was actually going to miss her while she was gone. I guess we'd gotten a little closer during this trip. Did I have Javi to thank for that? A bit, I supposed.

"What are you smiling about?" My mother asked, hooking her arm in mine and leading me back inside the hotel.

"Nothing." I turned my smile to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Do you want to go out for lunch today?"

The day the interview article came out, I was trying to find it online but Javi confiscated my phone.

"You'll just nitpick everything." He explained, disappearing into his bedroom.

"But I want to know what they said." I pouted.

"Coach Brian hasn't called either of us so it can't be anything bad, yeah?" He said when he came back. I relaxed into his touch when his hands squeezed my shoulders. "Don't think about it."

"That feels good..." I sighed, closing my eyes.

"Yeah?" He whispered in my ear and I got goose bumps when his lips brushed against the side of my neck. "Do you have - " Whatever he'd been about to say was interrupted by loud banging on the door. I jumped in my seat but Javi just groaned and trudged over to the door.

"JAVI!" There was a chorus of cheers by the front door and when he stepped aside, I saw Cal carrying a crate of beer followed by Bjorn and Louis.

"Oh, hey Yuzu." Cal smiled at me when he saw me. He came into the kitchen to dump the crate on the table and I returned his fist bump awkwardly. His hands were so big, it looked like just a tiny bump would knock me over.

"Hey Cal."

"You're here for the pre-comp party?" He asked and I blinked at him.

"The what?"

"The party." Bjorn sat down in the chair next to me, munching on some protein bar-like thing. "Before every big competition, we throw a party, you know." No, I did not know. Javi was due to fly to France for the European Championships tomorrow morning and they wanted to have a party?

"Why?..."

"Ah, helps the big guy relax, right." Cal shrugged. "The stress can really get to him sometimes."

"Yeah?" Javi was always so confident...I guess I never really considered how he'd unwind before a competition.

"Aren't you heading to France too?" Bjorn nudged my shoulder gently. I chuckled and declined when he tried to hand me a beer.

"Ah. No. Japan isn't part of Europe." I replied and he laughed.

"Right. Forgot."

"We'll only start competing in the Canada All-Skate."

"You looking forward to your silver medal?" Javi asked with a smirk as he and Louis and joined us.

"Are you?" I raised my eyebrow. "I haven't seen you land your quads cleanly after the step sequence."

"That's because ..." And he rambled his way through an inaudible explanation.

"...Right..."

It didn't matter how hard I cuddled Javi that night. By the time morning came I was still vaguely miserable. A whole week. Since I'd come to Toronto to train, I don't think we'd ever spent that long apart from each other.

"Text me when you have time." He'd said over breakfast. I could barely open my mouth to say goodbye to him when he'd left me in his apartment with a kiss and a flask of hot chocolate. I sipped it slowly surveying the mess the boys had left. I didn't have time to do anything about it. Practice was starting soon.

"Good. Focus on your foot, please." Coach Ghislain said when I passed him on the ice. I'd been trying to focus but the only thing I could think about was how much time was left until Javi skated.

"You're over rotating again." He sighed when I landed with a wobble. "We've done this 100 times, Yuzu. Balance on the outer edge of the skate. Don't use your toe pick. Again." I gritted my teeth and worked on delaying my rotations but I just wasn't getting it right.

When I fell on the ice for the 20th time, Coach Ghislain skated towards me and leaned over, pursing his lips while he stared at me laying flat on the ice.

"He's going to be fine, you know." He said eventually.

"I know." I muttered. I didn't even know why I was worried. I just wanted...

"Do you want to go watch him skate? I have the TV set up in the gymnasium." He was barely finished speaking before I was up and hopping in that direction. I took out my phone. He had about half an hour until the competition started. He would be on the ice by now, warming up.

Sure enough, when i turned on the TV all the skaters were on the ice, weaving between each other just to get a feel for how for it. It still made me nervous when I joined the group warm up. Having collided with another skater once, it made me extra cautious.

My leg bounced up and down when Javi finally skated out to the middle of the rink. He looked handsome all the time, but he looked especially handsome today. He had shaved recently and his costume hugged every curve of his muscles in a way that made my throat dry and my work out pants tight. Thank goodness I was sitting down.

"Our next skater, representing Spain. Javier Fernandez." Came the announcement and there was cheering in the crowd. I wondered briefly if any of his family had gone.

I chewed on my bottom lip as I watched Javi skate a pretty clean program. He hesitated a bit on one of his jumps which made him stumble a bit, but he didn't touch the ice so I let out a relieved breath. I'd been watching the scoring on the side of the screen so I knew he was in a good place technically, but I still crossed my fingers when he stepped into the kiss and cry with Coach Brian and Tracy. Presentation still counted for a lot.

"The scores please." The announcer rumbled and Javi grimaced as he looked into the camera. He was sweaty and breathing hard, cheeks flushed, but he still managed to pull off a wink that made me weak at the knees. "The scores for the short program." The number appeared on screen and Javi grinned. 102.4. Not bad. He was in the number 1 position at the moment with the highest score after the short program.

"Looking good. If he can keep it up for the free skate, he might snatch that gold." Coach Ghislain said next to me.

"Yeah..." I hummed. I crossed my fingers again tighter and hoped he did well tomorrow too.