Chapter Eighteen

Javier:

"What happened? Did you finally remember you have phone?"

"Laura..." I chuckled into the phone and settled deeper into the couch. "Is that how you greet your baby brother?"

"Baby brother, my foot." She sniffed on the other end and there was some rustling before she sighed. "So what's up? You don't usually call me." That in part was the reason why I had called in the first place. I considered myself pretty close with my sister, but after hearing Yuzu talk about his awkward relationship with his sister, I had felt a tiny spike of guilt. There were too many times in the past when I'd flaked calling back home using being busy as an excuse.

"Nothing. I just wanted to talk to you."

"O...K." She said slowly. "Talk about what?" I scoffed out loud and scratched at the stubble on my chin.

"How's work going?"

"Work is work." She grumbled. "We have evaluation exams soon and Maria is killing me with her late night revision sessions."

I listened to her complain about nursing things for a while, interjecting when necessary and laughing at some of the simple mistakes she'd been embarrassed about making.

"Javier."

"Hmm?"

"Why did you really call me?" My sister said quietly and I laughed somewhat sheepishly.

"I just wanted to talk. Really." It was silent for a while.

"Is something wrong?" She asked tentatively. "I feel like you've been a bit off for a while now. I don't know how to explain it. Just..."

"No." I answered honestly. "No, everything is great."

"Are you sure?"

"Mmm. I've been having fun getting ready for the new season. Working with Yuzu." I couldn't help the smile that grew on my face. "It's not even 'working with'...I feel like I learn something new about skating from him every day. It's insane. It's like literally having a textbook on skating come to life. He's more textbook than the textbook."

"I wish I could watch him skate again. If I could take time off work, I'd be down there in a second." She pouted and I frowned slightly.

"You'd take time off to see Yuzu, but you won't take time off to come see me?"

"You said you were coming home in a couple of months anyway." She said blankly. "When will I get a chance to see THE Yuzuru Hanyu again." I wiggled in my seat uncomfortably. The way my sister kept going on and on about him...

"You don't have a crush on him, do you?"

"Dios mio, who doesn't have a crush on him?" She breathed and my spine stiffened considerably.

"He's younger than me." I said, trying not to sound like I was irritated.

"Age means very little these days, little brother." She said drolly and I gripped the phone tighter.

"Well, it was nice chatting to you, Sis. I have to go to the gym now." I said quickly and hung up before she said something stupid that made me say something stupid too. Ridiculous. Yuzu didn't even ...I huffed unhappily and punched the cushion near my elbow.

"Coach." I sat down across from him and he held up a finger.