Chapter Three

Breezekit glanced around the camp with narrowed eyes. His eyes landed on a small bush near the elders den, witch twitched slightly with movement.

"Where are you Sprucekit? I can hear your breathing..." the white kit snickered as he crouched towards the bush.

The bush moved again, making it clear he had found his target. Breezekit leaped through the bush, coming in contact with a small ball of light brown fur.

"Ha!" Breezekit sneered as he pinned down Sprucekit with a hard shove of his paws.

"Alright alright! You can get off now!" Sprucekit hissed as he shoved him off of him with a roll of his eyes. "I still think it's unfair. You are a quarter moon older than me."

"Nice pounce, Breezekit!" The two toms turned their heads to see a light gray she-kit skipping over.

"Go away, Featherkit." Breezekit hissed at his sister with a glare. "Nobody wants you here."

"I do!" Sprucekit purred as he shook leaves from his fur.

Breezekit rolled his eyes. "Of course you do."

Featherkit continued to pad over, oblivious to what her brother had said.

"What are you guys playing?" She asked.

"None of your business..." Breezekit hissed at the same time Sprucekit said "Catch the mouse!"

Featherkit glared at Breezekit. "Just because we're siblings, doesn't mean you have to be snarky with me all the time."

"Sometimes I wish Sprucekit was my sibling instead." Breezekit murmured.

Suddenly, the elders den rustled, and a tan colored tom padded out, followed by another grey and white tom.

"Would you three kits stop yapping? Some of us are trying to sleep!" The tan colored tom hissed.

The gray tom purred in amusement and sat down in front of the den. "Don't mind Mossyblaze. He's just being his usual cranky self. Plus, it's way past sunrise anyways, it's time to get moving!"

Mossyblaze rolled his half blind eyes. "Your only saying that, Fishpounce, because you joined the elders a few moons ago. Your not half as old as I am! I need my beauty sleep."

Breezekit resisted a snicker and nudged Sprucekit, who was holding in his own laughter.

"Is Darkheart still in there?" Fishpounce growled in frustration.

The two elder toms continued to bicker as Breezekit motioned for Sprucekit to follow and sighed as Featherkit followed as well.

The three kits padded over to the nursery to find two queens sitting at the entrance. The dark brown she-cat grabbed Sprucekit by the scruff as soon as he came in reach, beginning to groom him fiercely.

"Muddymist! Stop! I'm fine!" Sprucekit protested as Featherkit purred in amusement.

The pure white queen next to her shook her head and rapped her tail around her paws. "Muddymist, I'm sure he's fine." She purred.

Muddymist sighed and stopped the intense grooming. "Im sorry... you just ran off so quickly this morning that I forgot to give you your morning groom!"

Sprucekit sighed but didn't press the subject farther. He had grown used to the obsessive behavior from his mother, due to the fact his sister had died at birth.

"It's alright. These two could go for a groom as well." The white queen purred.

"Nope, we're good!" Breezekit meowed quickly, backing away from his mother. "Were going to be apprentices soon! We can groom ourselves."

The two queens purred and Muddymist turned to the other queen. "Anyways, Swanstrike..."

Breezekit turned away, uninterested in whatever conversation they were having, glancing at his sister and Sprucekit who were talking in hushed voices.

He rolled his eyes, used to their everyday flirting and padded towards the apprentice den. When he got there, he glanced inside to see it was surprisingly empty.

They must be on a patrol or something. He thought to himself.

He turned and sat in front of the den, sighing. He glanced around the quiet camp, gazing at a small group of warriors by the fresh-kill pile.

His father, a light gray tom, Smokeface, was speaking with another light brown tom, Duskcloud, and a silver she-cat, Silverleaf. He watched as his leader, Falconstar, padded from his den and sat down beside the group, shortly followed by the deputy of the clan, Ivyclaw.

Probably sending out hunting patrols.

Suddenly, a large group of cats padded from the entrance of the camp, Tigerwhisker being in the lead.

Falconstar and Ivyclaw padded to the group after a quick murmur to the group by the fresh-kill pile. Breezekit stood up, narrowing his eyes. He noticed Ravenpaw, Branchpaw and Lightberry were surrounding two small figures in the middle of the group.

Breezekit padded forward, trying to get closer.

"Breezekit!" He turned to see his mother ushering him over to where she was sitting, and he rolled his eyes as he reluctantly complied.

He sighed as he sat by his mother who nodded in approval. Featherkit joined them with Sprucekit and flicked her tail curiously. "What do you think is going on?"
"It seems like two kits from Shadowclan have been brought here..." Swanstrike mumbled.

Breezekit gazed at his mother in surprise. "How do you know?"

"I can smell their terrible scent from here." She growled.

Featherkit glanced at her mothers words in surprise before turning away from the scene and padding away, Sprucekit following close behind.

Breezekit pricked his ears, wishing he could hear what the group was saying.

Falconstar was speaking with Tigerwhisker, glancing at the two huddled kits. The light gray kit stood tall above the other kit, seeming to hold her own as she spoke to the leader. Something the kit said made the leaders eyes widen.

Falconstar then turned to Ivyclaw, whispering something to her, before ordering something to Lightberry. The tan she-cat nodded before ushering the two kits towards the medicine den. Falconstar then said something to the rest of the group, then followed Lightberry. The group dispersed.

Breezekit watched Ravenpaw and Branchpaw pad towards the apprentice den and he glanced at Swanstrike, who seemed distracted at something Muddymist was saying.

He took that opportunity by sprinting towards Ravenpaw with quick, long strides.

"Woah!" Ravenpaw reared back as Breezekit came to a halt in front of her, his tail high.

"What was that about? Who are those kits? Why are they here?" Breezekit meowed.

"Slow down!" Branchpaw shook his head in amusement. "We're not really supposed to talk about it. Especially to a kit."

"Oh come on!" Breezekit begged. "You both know I'm going to become an apprentice any day now! I'm barley even a kit."

The two apprentices glanced at each other with worried looks.

"Okay yeah we really shouldn't talk about this with you." Ravenpaw glared at Branchpaw threateningly. "Its not our place."

Breezekit gazed at the cats in confusion at their sudden tension.

"Wha-

"Okay see ya, Breezekit. We're gonna take a quick nap. We woke up pretty early this morning." Ravenpaw meowed quickly, padding past Breezekit, followed by Branchpaw, who avoided his gaze. Breezekit watched the apprentices go in confusion.

What was that about?

Suddenly, Lightberry emerged from the medicine den across the camp, followed by the kits. She murmured something to Tigerwhisker, who nodded and padded behind the kits as they walked out of the camp.

Breezekit watched them go, before glancing back at the medicine den to see Falconstar standing at the entrance, staring right at him.