Chapter Sixteen

The warm wind blew through Breezepaw's fur as he padded beside Waspclaw into the Fourtrees clearing.
Fernpaw was sitting beside her mentor Sagebreeze.

"Greetings." Sagebreeze purred as the two toms approached.

Waspclaw nodded in return before flicking his tail annoyingly.

"Were late. So where is Thunderclan?" He hissed.

"You mean Pebblepaw and Autumnleaf?" Fernpaw growled back.

Every day she becomes more and more feisty. Breezepaw thought to himself.

He gazed at the white and light brown she-cat intently, looking her up and down. Her eyes suddenly landed on his and she raised an eyebrow. He quickly looked away.

"We've waited long enough." Waspclaw growled, glaring at Fernpaw. "Lets begin."

Sagebreeze sighed before nodding.

"I guess since no one else is here we can do a quick battle session to keep your skills sharp." Waspclaw meowed.

"Didn't we just do trust training yesterday, and now you want us to fight each other?" Fernpaw huffed.

Waspclaw turned on the she-cat with a glare.

"That doesn't mean you can't use each other for training. Don't apprentices from your clan use each other for training? How is this any different?"

Fernpaw gazed at her paws.

"Thats what I thought." Waspclaw growled.

"Lets just begin." Sagebreeze sighed.

Fernpaw padded to an open space of grass and Breezepaw followed, taking his place in front of her.

"You'll find it easier if you just keep your mouth shut around him." Breezepaw whispered to her.

She raised an eyebrow at him again silently.

"And I'll be sure to take it easy on you." He smirked.

Fernpaws eyes then narrowed.

"Don't you dare." She hissed. "I can take whatever mediocre fighting skills you have to offer. I've seen you fight Pebblepaw. It wasn't that impressive if I'm being honest."

"I beat her." Breezepaw purred in amusement.

"You haven't fought me yet." Fernpaw growled. "So you don't even know what I'm capable of."

"Sure. Whatever you say." Breezepaw smirked.

"Lets get a move on!" Waspclaw hissed a few cat lengths away.

"You heard him." Fernpaw smirked.

Breezepaw gazed into her bright green eyes, his amusement fading. It felt like an eternity until Fernpaw turned away, padding a few paw steps.

"Alright. Begin in three, two, one!" Sagebreeze yowled.

Fernpaw leaped at him as soon as her mentor yowled one and Breezepaw swerved her easily. She jumped at him again, and with easy speed, Breezepaw jumped out of the way just in time. She turned on him and hissed in frustration.

"What? You're just gonna swerve me the entire time?" She mocked.

Breezepaw purred before sprinting towards her. Before she had time to react, he swiped his paws under hers, knocking her over. He placed a paw on her side gently.

"Gotcha." He purred.

She raised an eyebrow before biting into his paw, not hard enough for him to bleed, but enough for him to yowl in surprise, jumping away from her.