Chapter Eighteen

It's been almost a quarter moon since Pebblepaw's death. Silverlilly and Snowypaw took the news just as hardly as Brackenpaw did. And yet they were already back to doing their regular duties. Brackenpaw was sitting outside the apprentice den, staring straight ahead.

It already feels like everyone is starting to forget about what happened.

He unsheathed his claws, digging them into the soft ground.

I should have found that flea bag. Why couldn't I find it?

After Pebblepaw's death ceremony happened when they had returned to camp with her body, Brackenpaw had immediately begun to search the forest. He looked everywhere for the fox that had killed his sister. But he couldn't even pick up its scent.

Amberstar suggests Autumnleaf scared it off as soon as it landed the blow on Pebblepaw, but Brackenpaw wasn't so sure.

He sighed and nearly jumped out of his fur when Silverlilly appeared next to him. She didn't say anything, just sat there for a moment, almost like she was considering what to say.

A few sunrises after Pebblepaw's death, Brackenpaw finally came clean to Silverlilly and Snowypaw that he knew he wasn't their real kin. Apparently Snowypaw had no idea, but Silverlilly was full of regret. But since Pebblepaw was gone, Brackenpaw didn't even care about the lies and the secrets. Nothing mattered anymore.

Because deep down the clan knew that the clans were doomed. One of the chosen ones was dead. And the prophecy stated that only four will save the clans.

"Brackenpaw."

He looked up in surprise to see Silverlilly staring at him with concern.

There was a short silence before she spoke again.

"You've barley left the camp, Brackenpaw. Let alone this den. You need to start doing your duties again. Life isn't over-

"But Pebblepaw's is."

Silverlilly's eyes narrowed and it almost seemed like she was going to hiss at him, but she took a deep breath and sighed.

"Her loss affected the entire clan. And I-

Her voice cracked a little.

"And I miss her very much. But she wouldn't have wanted us to mourn her forever. The clans are still in danger. And we can't just give up."

Brackenpaw sighed.

"Of course we can't. Except the fact that the chosen one is dead."

Silverlilly's ears flattened and she stood up abruptly.

"No. I won't sit here and listen to you talk about her like that."

He stood up as well, glaring at her.

"Your not so innocent, Silverlilly. Or did you forget the lies you fed me my entire life?"

She looked as if she was going to say something, but was interrupted as a yowl sounded from the entrance to the camp.

All eyes landed on a dark orange tom who sprinted into the camp, his chest rising and falling quickly.

"Riverclan cat..." Brackenpaw whispered.

"Amberstar?" The cat yowled. "I need to speak with Amberstar!"

Shadowblaze rushed over to the cat from beside the fresh kill pile.

"Rustyfur? What's going on?" The deputy asked.

Amberstar rushed from her den and padded up to her deputy.