Chapter Twenty Seven

The screeches were ringing in Breezerunner's ears as he dodged another blow from a large tribe cat. Remembering his training, he used his speed to his advantage.

He waited until the cat leaped toward him and ducked underneath it. Confusedly, the cat stumbled to regain its composure. Using that, Breezerunner swiped the cats paws out from under it, pouncing on them.

The cat yowled, raking its claws down Breezerunner's sides. He screeched in pain, and he glared down at the cat before sinking his teeth into its throat. He held his jaws there until the cats shaking stopped, and its body went limp. Blood dripped from his lips and he wiped it away with his paw shakily.

Another cat, dead...under my paws.

Shaking his head to clear it, he whipped around as a yowl sounded from behind him. He spotted Brackenheart and Autumnleaf rolling around on the ground in a heap of fur.

He needs help. With Autumnleaf dead...the tribe cats might surrender.

He began sprinting towards the fight, dodging cats as they fought each other ruthlessly. But before he could reach them, something slammed into him, causing him to fly through the air, landing on the ground with a huff.

Breezerunner raised his head to see a tribe cat running towards him, teeth barring. He scrambled to his paws, narrowing his eyes as he recognized the cat.

Shade.

As the furious figure leapt towards him, Breezerunner began to dodge, only to be met by outstretched claws, clawing him back towards his attacker. The two cats rolled around on the muddy ground until Shade pinned him with his claws sinking into his pelt.

"Thats right." Shade hissed. "I figured out your little maneuver. Dodging with your speed. Pathetic." He spit out the last word, dripping drool onto Breezerunner's face.

He tried to break free from his grasp, snapping his jaws at his face.

"Ah, ah, ah..." Shade growled. "I'm gonna make sure you die slowly. Autumnleaf can deal with killing only three of the chosen ones." He inched closer to his face. "But you're mine."   

Breezerunner bared his teeth with a hiss.

"I'd like to see you try and kill me. You're nothing. You let a former kitty pet lead you into a battle you're going to lose."

"You little rat." Shade spat. "You forget, I took your leaders life with a single swipe." He raised his paw, taking one of his sharp, long claws, and slowly raking it down Breezerunner's cheek. "You remember how I slaughtered your precious leader? He was weak. And so are you."

Breezerunner lunged forward, grabbing ahold of Shade's ear with his teeth. The tribe cat yowled in pain, yanking his head away, causing half of his ear to stay in Breezerunner's jaws.

"YOU PIECE OF MOUSE DUNG!" Shade yowled, barring his teeth as he prepared to strike.

With every ounce of strength he had left, Breezerunner kicked out his back legs, sending Shade flying. He quickly leapt to his paws, wincing at his wounds. His entire body hurt, in fact, it felt like he was on fire.

Suddenly, a flash of light leapt across his vision, blinding him. He yowled as flames broke out across four trees, quickly spreading down to the ground.

He gasped as the flames trickled towards him. Without thinking, he lunged away from it, and crashed into the large rock sitting beside four trees.

His vision went dark, and his body crumbled beneath him.
~
"Breezerunner." A voice sounded from far away.