Chapter Ten

Breezepaw glared at the entrance to the camp, flicking his tail back in forth. Featherpaw glanced at him and sighed, swallowing the chunk of bird she was eating.

"Would you stop that?" She meowed annoyingly.

Breezepaw blinked and turned his head away from the entrance to look at his sister.

"Huh?"

"They'll be back soon. Just finish eating." She nudged Breezepaw's untouched hare over to him.

"Not like you've eaten much anyway..." Featherpaw huffed.

Breezepaw sighed, taking a small bite, blood dripping from his lips.

"Aren't you curious about why both of our mentors, Falconstar, and the medicine cats are meeting at the moon stone for some secret meeting with the rest of the clan leaders?" He asked quickly.

Featherpaw sighed. "Your overthinking things. So what he took our mentors? He said he needed protection. Which is reasonable since it wasn't that long ago that there was the battle between dark and light."

Breezepaw gazed at his sister in shock.

"Where did you hear that?" He asked.

"Hear what?"

"The battle between dark and light?"

"What do you mean, Breezepaw? Every one knows."

"Yes, but..."

"Breezepaw! Featherpaw!" A light brown kit padded up to them, his tail in the air.

"Oh hey, Sprucekit." Featherpaw purred.

Sprucekit began to ramble on about how him and Duskcloud played moss ball. Breezepaw turned away from them and blinked in surprise as Falconstar and the group padded into camp.

Waspclaw and Quietwave turned their heads, seeming to be staring at him. It took him a second for him to realize that they were really staring at Featherpaw.
~
The next morning went by quickly. No cat seemed to be talking about the mysterious meeting the night before.

Breezepaw decided to distract himself by tagging along on a border patrol with Ivyclaw, Nightwind, Lightberry, and his father, Smokeface.

The five cats padded along the Shadowclan border, the only sound being Nightwind and Lightberry quietly murmuring to each other.

Smokeface padded beside Breezepaw and nudged him lightly.

"We haven't spoken in awhile I feel like." The gray tom meowed.

"Really? Well I've been busy training I guess." Breezepaw responded.

"How is that going by the way? You're training?"

"Good I think." Breezepaw glared at his paws. "But Featherpaw seems to be doing great."

Smokeface blinked and shook his head with a purr.

"Ah, classic sibling rivalry."

Breezepaw glanced up at the tom in surprise.

"Were not rivals! It's just... even Waspclaw thinks she's doing much better than I am."

Smokeface purred in amusement.

"Waspclaw is just harsh on every apprentice he teaches. It's his method I guess."

It was silent for a few moments before the tom spoke again.

"Just don't let that ruin your relationship with Featherpaw. You're kin."