Chapter Twenty Nine

It's been three sunrises since the battle. Almost every cat in the camp has been treated by now. Mudpaw and Pearlfeather certainly had their paws full.

She was proud of her brother though. He fit right in place as a medicine cat. She was sure he was going to earn his full name when things settled down. And Briarpaw would get her warrior name for sure. Cats are still murmuring congratulations to her. Saying how proud they are of her bravery and skill during the battle.

Good for her, right?

No deputy has been chosen yet. Gingerstar insisted on making his decision after the ceremony. To respect the ones we have lost.

Fernwish dipped her paw into the water of the river. It washed over her fur in a cold chill as the current rushed on.

Sighing, she pulled it out, looking around the quiet marsh. The wind was still, and scents filled her nose. It was almost peaceful. Fernwish blinked back the forming tears, pinning her ears back in frustration.

Be strong.

Taking a deep breath, she contained herself again.

Tonight all four clans were meeting at four trees for the mourning of the fallen. She didn't want to go, but Gingerstar insisted that the chosen one attend, in a show of strength.

She unsheathed her claws, digging them deep into the soggy soil.

She glanced up at the sky as the sun began to set behind the mountains, causing shadows to dance along the forest floor.
Fernwish's gaze landed on the glassy water of the river. She imagined jumping into the coldness. Letting her worries, her pain, just wash away. She stood up, considering, when a snap of a twig sounded from behind her.

She whipped around with a hiss, ready to pounce, only to be met with the surprised gaze of Briarpaw.

"Calm down! It's just me." She meowed quickly.

The fur on the back of Fernwish's neck lowered, and she took another deep breath to calm her racing heart.

"Sorry."

She couldn't help but notice the concerned look on her sisters face, and she tried to ignore it.

"Its fine...Gingerstar just sent me to let you know that we're leaving soon."

"Oh."

"Yeah..."

Briarpaw gestured back to the direction of camp.

"Shall we then?"

Fernwish nodded numbly, before following the she-cat.

It was silent for a few minutes, the only sound being the soft noise of their paw steps. Briarpaw was the first to break it.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She mumbled. "You've just seemed really off since the battle. I mean every cat is, but you..." She trailed off, unsure what else to say. "I'm just worried about you, that's all."

Fernwish sighed loudly, keeping her eyes ahead of her.

"I'm fine, Briarpaw. Don't worry about me. The battle just shook me. It shook every cat."

"I...I know that. But I'm your kin, I know when somethings wrong. Just tell me what's going on. Talk to me. Like when we were kits. Please I can-

"Briarpaw enough!" Fernwish growled, turning on her sister with a hiss. "I am fine. Let it go!"

With that, she quickly padded ahead of her, a snarl on her lips.
~
Fernwish padded into the Riverclan camp, blinking in surprise at the group of cats waiting at the entrance.