Chapter Seventeen

Fernpaw crouched low in the tall grass as she watched the shadowed cats streak into the Windclan camp. Her dream then shifted like it always did, and she was suddenly inside the camp walls. Cats were screeching and fighting all around her, and she watched helplessly, her paws frozen to the ground.

But suddenly, her dream shifted again, and she was in a dark den. It smelled like death, and she gagged as the stench wafted into her nose.

She looked around horridly, and stepped back, only to be met with a loud crunch. She turned to see she had stepped on a motionless body, its eyes staring at nothing. She gasped in terror as she realized the body was beside a pile of corpses.

"Help me, Fernpaw..."

She screeched and whipped around to see a dark figure crouched in the corner of the den. She padded closer slowly, and the figure was reviled.

"Breezepaw?!" She gasped.

Breezepaw's nose was bleeding and scratches lined his sides. His ears were badly torn and a long scratch covered half of his face. But his eyes...his eyes were full of terror.

"Help me, Fernpaw..." He whimpered again.

"I will, just hold on!" Fernpaw yowled, trying to reach him but her paws were frozen to the ground again.

"I will, Breezepaw!" She yowled again.

Her vision began to blur and she yowled in surprise as the ground gave way underneath her, and she was free falling into nothingness.
~
Her eyes snapped open and she sat up quickly. She was breathing hard, and her skin felt hot underneath her fur.

"Fernpaw?"

She turned to see Twigpaw gazing at her with a worried look from the nest next to her.

"Are you alright?" He asked gently.

"I...yes..." She responded shakily.

He gazed at her shyly.

"Your shaking..."

To her surprise, he slowly got out of his nest and laid down next to her hesitantly. She didn't say anything, she just laid her head on her paws and scooted closer to him, grateful for the reassurance that she wasn't alone.
~
Fernpaw opened her eyes and yawned as sunlight began to pool into the den. She looked around to see that the den was empty. She sighed, happy that the rest of her night was dream free.

Thanks to Twigpaw...

For some reason her heart skipped a beat when she thought of his name. Suddenly she sat up quickly as she remembered her dream.

Breezepaw.

She knew something wasn't right when she had kept dreaming the same dream every night, even after the battle between her clan and Shadowclan.

It was a mistake wasn't it? Shadowclan was never going to attack Windclan.

Bile rose in her throat when she realized what that meant.

Checkeredpaw died for nothing...that battle never needed to happen.

Part of her made that think it was her fault.

It was my dream. I should have known what it meant.

She shook her head.

Theres nothing I can do about it now. But Breezepaw is in trouble. Windclan is. I need to get to him.

She pinned her ears in surprise as her heart skipped a beat when she thought of his name as well.

But...Crowstar wont let me go. Plus, if he figured out that Shadowclan was innocent...