Epilogue

"Deep breaths, deep breaths!"

I AM BREATHING DEEP, MOUSE BRAIN!

"Your almost there. You're doing great!"

GREAT STARCLAN JUST SHUT UP!

"Your done! Your done."

Fernwish opened her eyes, sighing in relief. Mudpelt gazed at her in awe before nudging her gently.

"You did it." He purred softly.

Fernwish peered around her brothers form, spotting Pearlfeather grooming two, small creatures.

"Can...can I see them?" She huffed between breaths.

"Of course." Pearlfeather purred before carrying the two kits over to her.

Fernwish gazed at her kin softly, licking them each in turn.

One of them was a tiny she-kit with light brown fur.

"She's a spitting image of you." Mudpelt whispered, following her gaze.

She then turned to the tiny tom, and her eyes widened. The kits fur was a pure white, and his muzzle and paws were gray. She almost didn't recognize the familiarity.

"He looks exactly like Breezerunner..." She meowed before she could stop herself.

Mudpelt's brow furrowed in confusion as he peered closer to the tom. A few silent moments passed until he looked up at his sister in shock.

"But...the father is Twigclaw." He lowered his voice, glancing at Pearlfeather who was sorting through some herbs a few tail lengths away. "How did you have a kit that looks nothing like you or the father?" He hissed between his teeth.

Fernwish shook her head in shock.

"This can't be happening..." She whispered, her eyes welling. "I was just starting to move on...and now..." She watched the tiny kit, and her throat began to dry.

He looks exactly like him.

"Fernwish, answer me." Mudpelt growled.

She looked up at her brother.

"I...me and Breezerunner...before he-

Before she could finish, Pearlfeather padded over to them, carrying a few herbs in her jaws.

"Eat these." She purred before glancing between the two cats. "Everything okay?"

"Yes." Mudpelt meowed light heartedly. "Just excited to have more kin in the bloodline." He then leaned close to Fernwish's ear. "Tell her nothing." He hissed before padding away.

Pearlfeather shrugged then followed the tom.

Fernwish sighed a shaky breath, stuffing the bitter herbs down her throat. She then glanced down at her kits, who were now huddled against her side.

"Whatever happens..." She whispered. "I won't let anything bad happen to you."

A memory suddenly flashed before her eyes. Breezerunner, leaping into the flames. She shook her head, clearing the vision, before another one formed.

Her walking back to camp that one sunrise, covered in the blood of her enemies. Her eyes narrowed into slits.

"I promise."