Chapter Nineteen

As soon as Fernpaw woke up, she rushed straight to the medicine den. Every morning, same routine.

Pearlfeather and Mudpaw would always be up, giving Breezepaw his morning poppy seeds. The white and gray tom seemed to be looking better, his wounds were closing and slowly becoming scars.

When she padded into the den, he was sitting up in his nest, waiting for her.

"Morning." He meowed as she approached.

"How are you feeling?" Fernpaw asked, looking him up and down.

"Better." He purred in amusement.

Pearlfeather padded up to them, setting down a few poppy seeds at Breezepaw's paws.

"Actually, I don't think I need them today. The pain is bearable."

Pearlfeather raised an eyebrow but took the seeds back.

Breezepaw's eyes landed on Fernpaw's and his gaze became serious.

"Now, I need to speak with Gingerstar."

Fernpaw shook her head.

"We've been over this. He already knows that the tribe is planning an attack on Thunderclan. He sent out a warrior to warn them a few sunrises ago."

"But we should be doing more." Breezepaw hissed under his breath. "Trust me, Fernpaw. These cats are vicious. They don't have a code. They kill in order to win."

Fernpaw gazed at him sadly.

"I know. And I understand your clan has been through a lot. But right now there's nothing else we can do. Gingerstar said it himself."

Breezepaw shook his head and stared at his paws.

Mudpaw padded up beside Fernpaw a nudged her to the side gently.

"You should go out and do something. You've been stuck in here long enough. Breezepaw will be fine."

Fernpaw sighed.

"Alright, alright."

She glanced at Breezepaw who was still staring at his paws silently.

He's been traumatized. Those cats destroyed his clan. Then tortured him.

Before she could change her mind, she nodded to Mudpaw and padded out of the den.

The air smelled fresh and marshy and the ground was slightly wet from the rain that night. She gazed around the camp until her eyes landed on Briarpaw, who was standing beside her mentor Rainfall at the entrance to the camp.

Fernpaw rushed over to her sister who turned in surprise.

"Are you guys leaving camp?" She asked.

"Yeah. We're leaving on a patrol along the river bank. Do you wanna join?"

Fernpaw nodded gratefully and padded beside her as the three cats trekked out of the camp, and through the marshy forest.

"So...how is you know who?" Briarpaw asked, nudging her gently as they walked a few paw steps behind Rainfall.

"Breezepaw? Oh, he's doing way better I think."

"You've been spending a lot of time with him you know."

"Huh?"

"Oh come on." Briarpaw purred in amusement. "You've spent two whole sunrises in the medicine den."

"Because I was worried about him!"

"A Windclan cat?"

"Y-Yes?"