Chapter Twenty Two

Breezepaw's eyes blinked open and a yawn escaped his lips as he sat up in his makeshift nest.

The abandoned badger den was still dark, and three cats were fast asleep. He glanced at the nest next to his to see it empty.

Fernpaw...

He sat up, stretching quickly, before padding quietly out of the den. The night air was cool, and the sun was slowly emerging from behind the mountains.

Breezepaw spotted Fernpaw sitting a few cat lengths away, facing away from him. He padded up to her, nudging her gently before pressing his warm body against hers. She didn't respond, instead watched silently ahead, as if she was waiting for something.

"Is everything okay?" Breezepaw purred quietly, licking her ear.

She sighed and faced him with a worried look.

"Breezepaw...it's been over a quarter moon since we got here."

He nodded proudly.

"Yeah and we've been training our tails off. We've practically mastered the moves Sagebreeze taught us. And let me just say, your battle skills have improved tremendously!"

She nudged away from him, flicking her tail in annoyance.

"This isn't a joke, Breezepaw!"

"I wasn't joking..."

She sighed again and nodded.

"I know, I know...I'm sorry. I'm just on edge..."

Breezepaw cautiously sat closer to her again, resting is tail on her shoulder.

"Are you worried about the battle? Because if you are, trust me we all are."

"It's not that...well it is but..."

She suddenly turned to him, her eyes full of worry.

"It's been over a quarter moon. Gingerstar was supposed to send a messenger by now."

I completely forgot about that...

"And he said if the messenger didn't reach us..."

"Then that means the tribe took over Riverclan..." Breezepaw finished.

"Yes..." Fernpaw shook her head angrily. "Not only that, but I haven't had a vision from Starclan for awhile now. Why won't they just tell us what to do?!"

Breezepaw nudged her lightly.

"Then that wouldn't make Starclan...well...Starclan."

She rolled her eyes when suddenly realization dawned on her.

"Breezepaw...whats going to happen after the battle?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well...after we win...witch hopefully we will-

"We will."

"Whats going to happen to us? We live in completely separate clans."

Breezepaw's eyes widened.

I forgot about that too...

"Its against the warrior code to have a relationship with any cat from another clan." Fernpaw's eyes began to water.
"I can't believe I'm saying this but...I think I love you, Breezepaw."

Breezepaw suddenly broke out in a loud purr.

"I love you too..."

Fernpaw rushed forward and rested her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes.