Chapter Thirteen

Brackenpaw padded determinedly towards the elders den. Ever since the mysterious meeting occurred, he had been trying to uncover the truth.

He knew something weird was going on that every cat seemed to know but him.

He reached the den and padded inside. Two cats sat in the middle, murmuring to each other silently. A light tabby tom with a long scar across his face, glanced up as Brackenpaw approached.

"Greetings, Halfface." Brackenpaw meowed to the scarred elder. "Claystripe." He nodded to the other light orange elder.

"Brackenpaw! What can we do for you?" Claystripe meowed.

Brackenpaw took a deep breath, going over what he planned to say in his head for the hundredth time.

"Actually I was just hoping to speak to both of you for a second."

The elders glanced at each other with a knowing look, causing Brackenpaw to raise an eyebrow suspiciously. When nether elder spoke, Brackenpaw sighed and continued.

"Lets just get to the point then. The meeting a few sunrises ago? Every cat seems to know what it was about but me. And no one is telling me anything."

Halfface bared his teeth, making Brackenpaw shudder as the elders half shredded lip curled up in a snarl.

"What?" The elder rasped. "And you expect us old cats to tell you everything?"

Claystripe nudged Halfface threateningly, but Halfface ignored him.

"I've heard murmurs that you have been going around camp asking every cat the same question. You young cats never learn to quit do you!"

Brackenpaw stared at the elder in surprise.

"Halfface- Claystripe began but the other elder interrupted him.

"No. You want to know the real truth, Brackenpaw? Learn to mind your own business and trust that Amberstar and the medicine cats know what they're doing. Some things are meant to stay in the dark, and when the time is right, the answers you are searching for will be reviled."

Halfface inched closer to the apprentice.

"But for now, train hard. Listen to your mentor. And just be a normal apprentice. While it lasts."

While it lasts?

"I think that's enough." Claystripe hissed lowly. "Run along now, Brackenpaw."

Brackenpaw nodded slowly before leaving the den.

Maybe the crazy old cat is right.... He thought. Maybe I should just focus on my training. Pebblepaw and Snowypaw both don't seem to know, and they aren't trying to uncover the truth.

He unsheathed his claws as he walked.

But they are hiding something from me too. Because I know for a fact that somehow I'm not their real kin.

"Brackenpaw!" Snowypaw yowled from nearby.

Brackenpaw turned to see the gray and white apprentice running towards him.

"Hawkfang told me to come and get you. We're going to meet Pebblepaw and her mentor at the training hallow for some battle training."

Brackenpaw glanced at the entrance of the camp to see Hawkfang and Owlwhisker waiting.

"I...okay."

Snowypaw glanced at him in concern.

"You okay?"

"Yup." He responded a little too quickly.

Snowypaw raised an eyebrow but didn't press the subject.

The two apprentices padded towards their mentors in silence, Brackenpaw silently glaring at his paws.
~
They reached the training hallow in no time, where Pebblepaw and Autumnleaf waited. The mentors nodded to each other before turning towards their apprentices.