Chapter 16

I slowly turned around, goosebumps erupting all over my arms and neck.

"Hey mama," Tristan's husky voice sounded throughout the dark room.

My eyes darted around the room in search of a weapon, and or a way out. But I couldn't find any. Everything in Mateo's room was cuddly and harmless. And Tristan was blocking the door, so my only way out was through the window. Which wasn't possible because we were on the third floor.

I didn't respond. I couldn't, because it felt like my throat had closed up. My heart was pounding in my chest, fear wracking through my body from my head down to my toes.

Tristan narrowed his eyes at his son, giving a clueless Mateo a smile that would have made my heart leap if I wasn't so scared of him.

"He's grown quite a lot since the last time I saw him." He tilted his head, further analyzing all the changes he missed over the past couple of months. "Is he walking?"

I ignored his question. "How did you find me?"

A low sounding laugh erupted from him, the action making me swallow with fear. I held Mateo close, taking a single step back to increase the distance between us.

"I knew where you had gone the moment you left."

"If so, then why didn't you come after me?"

"Because I needed you and Mateo safe."

"Safe?" I scoffed in sheer disbelief. "From who? You?"

"From my father," he corrected.

The last time his father was mentioned, Tristan had come home drunk, angry, and horny.

"What will your father do that you haven't already done?" I retorted, my free hand on my hip.

"You think I'm so heartless, but who do you think made me this way?"

"That's no excuse," I snapped. "You can't just hold someone against their will." I frowned. "If you think I'm going anywhere with you, then you have officially lost your mind."

His lips curled up into a smirk, watching me continue to try and get our son back to sleep.

Mateo cried, quickly becoming cranky. Huffing in frustration, I walked up to Tristan and handed Mateo to him.

"I have to get ready for work."

I tried to shift past him, but he side stepped, further blocking my exit. He looked down at me, while rocking an upset Mateo in his arms.

I sighed, rolling my eyes at his inability to trust me. "I'm not going anywhere." He just kept staring, trying to find some sign that I'm not being truthful.

Pushing on his chest, I managed to slip past him so I could get out into the hallway and return to my old room.

Breathing heavily, I wasted no time drenching my hot body under cold water. His gaze alone ignited a fire in the depths of my stomach and the heat between my thighs to grow wet with overwhelming need.

And I hated myself for it. Because even after everything he's done, I still wanted him... bad.

I was too busy rinsing the soap off my body and the shampoo out of my hair to notice that he had joined me in the shower.

It wasn't until I felt his hands wrapping around my waist and pulling me in that I realized. Gasping softly, my arousal grew as I felt his hard, naked body pressed up against my backside.

"Tristan... what are you doing?" I breathed, in no hurry to push him away.

He pressed his lips to my shoulder, before his nose began nuzzling my neck. "You smell so fucking good it drives me mad," he whispered, his warm breath on my neck.