𝔊𝔯𝔬𝔲𝔫𝔡 ℜ𝔲𝔩𝔢𝔰

Jungkook

I don't know if I made the decision of accepting the deal and bringing this familiar at my house. He's too clingy. But I need his help, so I guess I have to get used to it.

I walk around the house and when we arrive at the living room, I look at them. "We should set some ground rules."

Jimin keeps the distance. "Okay."

I notice that he's not clinging onto me, which is in my favor. "First, I know you already know it because I told you earlier. Yes you can be clingy with me, but not too clingy, because it's making me a little bit uncomfortable. Second, do not disturb me when I'm studying spells. And last, make yourself feel at home, but don't touch my important things without my permission. If you want to add anything, feel free to say it."

They look around, still holding themself as they try and decide if this is a right fit. "I have some rules too..."

I look at them. "What is it?"

They look down at the floor and zone out. It takes them a while to snap out of it. "D-Don't call me 'Demon' or 'Familiar.' I have a name and expect it be used. I told you my pronouns. I refuse to be referred to as an 'it.'" Their eyes turn silver. "I refuse to be a lab rat, and even though I can survive without food and water, that doesn't mean it's pleasurable. Yes, I do feel pain, so don't ever hit me."

"I won't let you starve, and I won't physically hurt you. I'm not that kind of mage. You're safe here; no one will harm you here." I say.

Jimin's eyes widen and turn back brown. "I-I also sleep and require breaks. I will see my friends. I haven't gotten to be with them in person in a while. I miss my soulmate."

"You can always meet them whenever you want. I'm not stopping you, Jimin."

They narrow their eyes. "My collar... I want it to be pretty."

"What color do you like?" I ask.

"My favorite color is blue, but I'd prefer it be something that'll match everything, like black. Don't get the cheaper ones meant for familiars that don't have human forms, because they irritate my skin when I'm in this form." He moves a hand to his neck. "I've seen pretty ones that have pendants. I don't know if you could afford those, so I just don't want to be treated like an actual animal. I'm not."

A pretty black collar? Black is my favorite, so it won't be hard to find a good and perfect collar for them. "I'll try my best to get you a pretty collar. I'm sure that I can afford it."

They exhale. "Don't use it on me whenever. The collar, like the tattoo I'll give you, is supposed to serve to protect, not control. I... don't use it on me yourself. Don't choke me. I won't use your tattoo on you, so just don't."

"I won't choke you. As I've said, I don't harm anyone."

Jimin doesn't look like they believe me. "I... okay. I won't be in your way. I don't need as much as other familiars. But I..." They look around. "Everything is so different..."

I cross my arms. "What do you mean?"

"It's been over a century since I was last in the human world." They blush.

I am surprised. I thought he'd been here all the time. "So, you don't know how to use a phone?"

"Is that what one would call as slang? As in like, a phonograph?"

I blink. "A phonograph is different from a cell phone or phone. We use our cell phone to communicate with each other when we're not together. You can text or call them if you miss them. You can download a social media application, where you can post stuff, like your daily life, food, selfies." I look at them, and they seem like they don't get my explanation.

"Uhm. Do you get what I say, Jimin?"

"Humans don't use mail or carrier pigeons anymore? Mages don't just use magic? I contact my friend magically and I can see them. It's harder on them because it's tiring magic for them." Jimin waves their hand and a scroll with writing appears.

"Mages would write on scrolls like this and then send them by magic." Jimin waves their hand again and it erupts in green flames and disappears. "Then, the other mage would get it. Only some sorcerers and some mages, if they were powerful enough, could do this. So most mages used pigeons, owls, or other birds."

The familiar closes their mouth, but I can hear their voice in my head.

"Plus, I can speak telepathically."

"A text, a social media... These sound weird. A selfie sounds quite odd, to be honest." They fly over to me and hover, their eyes looking right into mine. "May I learn from you? It shouldn't take long. I just need access to your thoughts. May I?"

I gulp and step backwards. "Y-Yes. I can teach you how."

They get closer. "No, like, let me access your thoughts. Teaching me the normal way would take forever. Let me just enter your mind."

I look away, avoiding his stare. "If that's what you want, then go."

"Let me do it consensually, Warlock Jeon." Their soft hands cradle my face and turn it so I'm looking in their silver eyes. "Make sure you know what you don't want me to see, and I won't access it. And then, I'll put my forehead to yours, and we'll make eye contact."

I nod at them. I don't have anything to hide, so why feel nervous, Jungkook? "Deal."

Jimin smiles and places their forehead to mine, silver eyes glowing. I feel warmth erupting all over my body as Jimin makes direct eye contact with me, going through my mind to pick out everything they need to understand the world today. It feels oddly intimate, and I want to move away, but I don't, knowing that it's best Jimin understands what's going on.

When they're done, Jimin's eyes change to a warm brown and they put distance back between us. "Thank you, Warlock Jeon."

"Just call me Jungkook."

"Really?" Jimin asks carefully.

I nod at him. "Yes, because calling me 'Warlock Jeon' sounds too formal for me. 'Jungkook' is fine."

"Does that mean you'll actually enter a contract with me?" Jimin plays with their fingers.

I think carefully before answering their question. "Yes, Jimin."

Jimin smiles widely, eyes smiling along with them. "Okay! I can't wait!"

My heart suddenly throbs as I look away. "We can start it now."

"Okay," Jimin grabs my hand excitedly, "let's go!"