reunited.. 4

Sonic grinned as he hopped through the star post, reminding himself to thank Sally for having a star-post in HQ.

He easily landed on his feet, his hands on his hips as he glanced around.

The island was unusually silent. No wind, no animals scurrying around.. There wasn't even a chirp in the air.

The blue speedster's expression fell into one of immediate concern. Something was wrong.. That was for sure.

Sonic gained a determined expression, him starting to race towards where he knew the master emerald alter stood.

As he ran, he took note of the surroundings. Some of the trees were broken, as if something big ran through the area. Or, something strong at least.

There were several patches of burnt foliage, small fires spread here and there. And there was some pieces of scrap metal laying around.

It practically reeked of a certain doctor, the blue blur's suspicions of what happened narrowing down quickly.

He slowed to a stop when he got near, eyes widening at what he saw.

The alter was wrecked, bits of stone surrounding it. The master emerald was slanted, pretty much on its side with its glow and color dimmed. The chaos emerald pillars surrounding the alter were now just piles of rubbish, big chunks of stone seen clearly.

The area around it looked no better, it looking like a battle happened. Foliage was upturned, trees uprooted, metal bits here and there too.

And the worst part? Knuckles was no where in sight. Usually he would be guarding the master emerald... So... Where was he?

Sonic walked closer to the alter, his hand raised to aid in making him louder as he called out," Yo knux! Where the heck are ya?! What happened?!"

Sonic's ear swiveled as he listened for a response, the only reply being silence. He felt... Uneasy.

Whatever happened here, it wasn't good, that was for sure.

The next thing Sonic figured to do was check the whole island, him racing around the entirety of it in about 2 minutes. Still no signs of the red echinda anywhere. 

Sonic felt a tad worried for the Guardian... But seeing as there wasn't any blood or anything like that, then that meant he was hopefully ok..

The blue blur raised his hand again, holding the communicator up," Yo Tails, you there?"

A voice immediately echoed from the communicator, the young inventor's voice echoing from it," Here! Did you find Knuckles?"

Sonic sighed, relaying what he saw," No, he's no where in sight. Checked all over the island, still nothing... Something came through here and caused a ruckus, seeing as a lot of areas have been wrecked.... I think Eggman beat us here, I can see a bit of scrap."

Tails' voice became worried," do you think knuckles will be ok..?"

Sonic grinned," Of course! If I know anything about the knucklehead, it's that he's a tough cookie to crack. He'll be fine.."

.... Sonic wishes he could believe that. He really does.

".... If you say so..", Tails' voice was quiet, unsure. Just like how the blue blur felt on the inside.

Sonic tensed then, his quills bristling. The wind had picked up, it increasing every second.

Tails seemed to notice to, his voice a tad panicky," Uh, the energy level there is increasing-"

Sonic turned to the alter, his green eyes wide and glowing as he spotted the emerald. It was glowing as well, the glow increasing as the winds picked up.

"The emerald's actin' up! But nothing is actively causing it!", Sonic backed up a bit, him tense as he looked for the cause.

"That explains the energy level, but doesn't explain why it's happening! Try to find out wh-", the two-tailed fox's voice turned to static, the connection breaking up. Sonic smacked it, the connection not coming back.

Sonic cursed, looking up at the alter.

It was now like they were in a storm, the winds fast enough to sweep someone off the feet. Sonic had to grab the nearest tree to steady himself.

With how the winds were, it would take too long to reach the starpost... The winds would quite literally make him fly if he went above 20 mph.

.... He had to try something.

Ah hell, he was gonna run towards it. So he could see what's up, ya know?

He smirked then, readying himself to race towards there. In the next second, he was running, making sure to keep his speed in check.

It was a good plan in thought... But the execution of it was when he realized it wasn't exactly the best. Especially since the area around was sorta a mini tornado now.

He was so close, only a few more feet now...

The emerald shined, it so bright he had to cover his eyes. It didn't help, seeing as the glow of his eyes had the same effect on the inside of his eyelids.

He yelled, a blast of pure energy hitting him and sending him flying.

...He blacked out as he hit the ground...