Chapter 7: Tension

(Song recommendation: https://open.spotify.com/track/1x3WWIV5TtVfzrG01sRSK1?si=5EGslvjvTkKge6_q3HPcSg )

As the two brothers wrapped up their dances, it was time to rotate dance partners. Remus took a deep breath when he realized Logan would be his next dance mate, and Roman tensed when he realized Janus would be is.
Logan curtsied, keeping eye contact with Remus as he did. Remus smiled as Logan rose, his heart fluttering. He felt confident, despite his fears, and decided he wasn't going to lose himself that easily. Remus took the hand that Logan offered, pulling him into a dance that was awkward at first, but got better in time.
Logan stayed silent, observing Remus as they danced. "You seem distracted." He observed, trying to follow the traditional steps of the dance while Remus proceeded to purposely stray from them. "I'm just thinking about your dress." Remus stated, smirking as he came up with a plan to get through this. "Oh? What about it?" Logan asked as Remus spun him around. "It's modest and all, but like, with that slit in the front it's probably very easy to take it off." Remus explained in a teasing tone.
Remus felt successful as Logan blushed, his cheeks and the tips of his ears turning red. "Yes, I suppose it is." Logan stammered, pausing to think before forming a smirk of his own. "Does that simply amuse you, or are you planning to make use of that?" He challenged, causing Remus to feel... well... At first it was like a tidal wave washing over him, but now it felt like a vacuum pulling him in. He just looked at Logan in surprise as they danced, but once he recovered, he returned Logan's smirk and spun Logan around before dipping him. "Maybe I am... but don't think that means you won." Remus taunted.
"Well, there's no knowing if I've won until the month is over." Logan began, clearing his throat so the butterflies in his chest would allow him to speak. "Though I have a feeling that the odds are in my favour." He stated confidently. "They aren't." Remus informed him before rising and resuming their dance. "You all lost before the game began." He admitted, causing Logan to raise an eyebrow as he gave up the traditional dance and followed Remus's movements. "What does that mean?" Logan asked, sighing as the next rotation was about to occur. "Don't worry about it." Remus assured him.

Roman curtsied to Janus, who bowed before offering a hand to Roman. Roman looked at the hand for a moment, and paused as he reached out to it, wondering if he should accept this. Then again, he was expected to.
He took the hand, allowing Janus to pull him into a dance. "Might I say that you look stunning, darling." Janus flirted as they dance, causing Roman's cheeks to match the colour of his dress. "You may, though I'm already aware." Roman stated. "I see." Janus replied, smirking as he spun Roman around him.
"How are you liking the kingdom thus far?" Roman asked, hoping to change the subject. "It's alright... Though it falls flat in comparison to the Crown Jewel, that being you." Janus sighed, as if this fact disappointed him. Though his expression, a smirk and a twinkle in his golden eyes, told Roman that the fact delighted him. "Again, I'm already aware." Roman assured him. "As you should be." Janus returned, pulling Roman closer. He placed an arm around Roman's lower back, causing Roman's heart to skip a beat as he rested one arm on Janus's shoulder and held onto Janus's hand with the other. Roman fell speechless as he danced with Janus, feeling that this was going to be a difficult month in deed.

It was time to rotate partners, and now Remus danced with Patton, and Logan with Roman. Janus stood to the side, reveling in the tension that filled the ballroom. Part of it was due to the chemistry between Logan and Remus, as well as himself and Roman. Part of it was due to the fact that Remus put Patton on edge, and Logan and Roman seemingly irritated each other.
Part of it was also due to the fact that a certain dancer had become distracted while watching the twins, and Janus smirked at the expression on Virgil's face. The dancer and the King locked eyes for a moment, and Janus could feel a near hatred coming from him. "I wonder... Are you the one that's in my way?" Janus murmured softly as their eye contact broke due to Virgil's continued performance. His attention then returned to watching the others, chuckling at the stiffness in Logan and Roman's dance and the stumbling between Patton and Remus. Janus had a feeling he knew exactly how this whole thing would end, so long as he played his cards right. It seemed the only threats to his success were Logan and possibly the dancer. Once he got them out of the way, he could have the Twins to himself, and merge his nation with this one.