Chapter 14: Stalking Serpent

(Song recommendation: https://open.spotify.com/track/0ynMNpe5qtwH0YoVzOolbq?si=1bh_cBOoSrOprkP3A5a27Q )

(Janus's dress for today)

     Janus walked silently down the castle halls, moving much like a shadow towards the Staff Dormitories

Janus walked silently down the castle halls, moving much like a shadow towards the Staff Dormitories. He had managed to convince a butler to inform him where Virgil's room was, with a little help from his gift of course. Janus hoped to follow Virgil today, to get an idea of his daily routine. Then, he could form a plan to get this mysterious dancer out of his way.
He arrived at Virgil's door, and waited. Hidden in the shadows, Janus watched as a tired looking man walked out of the room. Janus kept his footing light and his movements slow as he followed. He kept his breathing quiet, and hid quickly in the windows whenever he came close to giving himself away.
Thankfully, Virgil's mind seemed elsewhere, and he was far too distracted to notice someone was following him. Janus debated for a moment if he was in the wrong to be doing this. Then, however, Remus's voice was heard as they passed the library, and Virgil quickly hid and began to listen. Janus smirked, but his smirk fell to a scowl as he too overheard Remus and Logan's conversation. Seems Logan was a bigger obstacle than Janus knew... Though that could be dealt with later. Janus watched Virgil walk away, and noted that the dancer seemed on the brink of a panic attack.
Eventually, Janus followed Virgil to the theatre. He watched Virgil enter, and decided it better to wait outside than to follow him in and risk being caught. He waited and watched the door for about half an hour until Virgil came back out. When Virgil did exit the theatre, he wasn't alone. Roman was walking beside him, their arms linked as the two exchanged playful banter.
Janus tensed as he watched the two walk down the hall, about to follow them when he suddenly felt someone tap his shoulder. He leapt out of his skin as he swiftly turned around, seeing Patton giggling. "Shhhh." Janus hissed as he covered Patton's mouth and quickly pulled him into the theatre, not wanting to risk Roman or Virgil catching him.
(Patton's dress for today)

     Patton seemed alarmed as Janus pulled him into the theatre, and gasped as Janus let go of him

Patton seemed alarmed as Janus pulled him into the theatre, and gasped as Janus let go of him. "Sorry, my bad. I shouldn't have snuck up on you like that." Patton apologized, laughing nervously as he rubbed his arm. Janus looked at Patton in confusion for a moment, then sighed. "It doesn't matter... How long were you there?" Janus questioned.
"I was just passing through and saw you watching them leave." Patton answered. "Don't worry, I won't tell Roman you were stalking him." He then teased before giggling again. "I wasn't- never mind... I have important matters to attend to, matters that affect all of us. I would appreciate it if you stayed out of my way." Janus informed him. "Oh? Like what? Maybe I could help!" Patton offered happily, hands behind his back as he rocked on his feet.
Janus sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose as he debated his options. "Did you see the man walking with Roman?" He began, crossing his arms as he studied his rival. He seemed so childlike and innocent, hardly a threat. Though he could be a nuisance, especially if he discovered what Janus was planning. "Yeah... They seem really close." Patton admitted, his smile faltering for a moment. He quickly shook it back on, eyes bright and cheerful as ever. "They must be friends or something." He decided cheerfully. Janus stare at him for a long time, wondering if he was just that naive, or if he was in denial.
"Yes, well... I want to learn more about Roman's... 'Friend.'" Janus explained. "Sounds good to me! Ooh! I could try to make friends with him! Then we can learn lots about him!" Patton cheered happily. Janus thought about it for a moment, then nodded with an impressed expression. If Patton befriended Vrigil, that could open up a lot of options. "Yes, that would be of great help. Thank you, Patton." Janus agreed. "No problem! Speaking of friends, the three of us should get to know each other! I couldn't find Logan, but you and I could spend some time together." Patton offered.
Janus studied Patton, wondering what his intentions were. It was unlikely that Patton genuinely wanted to be his friend, more likely that this was a strategy of some kind. "We aren't friends, Patton. We're rivals." Janus huffed. "Yeah, but two of us win, right? So those two that win will be like brothers!" Patton cheered.
Ah, so perhaps that was Patton's strategy. Befriend the two of them so they would help him with Roman, since Patton would be the preferred person to have as a brother in law, then the two of them could compete over Remus. If that was the case, Patton was quite clever. If not, then perhaps he was genuinely this naive.
"And what if I plan to win both Roman and Remus?" Janus questioned with a smirk. "Both?" Patton asked, confused by the idea of it. "Haven't you ever heard of a polyamorous relationship?" Janus sighed, both irritated and amused by Patton's confusion. "Can't say that I have..." Patton murmured. "Though wouldn't that be unfair? For you to have two husbands and Remus and Roman both only have one?" He added. "That isn't my problem." Janus stated before leaving the theatre.
Patton's brows furrowed, as if he were doing a difficult puzzle as he left the theatre. "That sounds rather selfish." He murmured as he followed Janus. "I don't particularly care." Janus replied. "Now, don't you have better things to do than pester me?" He added. "Nope." Patton cheered. Janus couldn't tell if he was being genuine or acting out of spite.
Janus sighed, taking a moment to think about this. Perhaps it would be a good idea to befriend Logan and Patton, convince Logan to help him win Roman, and Patton to help him win Remus. Then both could help him with handling Virgil. He nodded at this idea, then faked a friendly smile before turning to face Patton.
"You know what, I've thought about it, and you're right. I think being friends with you is a marvellous idea." Janus decided. "Really?" Patton asked, excitement sparkling in his bright blue eyes. Janus nodded and resumed his walk, allowing Patton to follow. "Awesome! Oh! We could go to my room and play some board games! We can swipe some cookies from the kitchen too!" Patton suggested. "Sounds perfect." Janus agreed, chuckling at the tone of mischief in Patton's last statement.
Maybe a small part of him would actually enjoy being Patton's friend.