Chapter 16: Unfamiliar

(Song suggestion: https://open.spotify.com/track/1QP9hq3HZMZ9XLUIS5xUB1?si=Oq_Dz3YYTaaGOB6yeJZaLQ )

"Come on! There's still something I want to show you." Remus cheered before standing up and running down the forest path. Logan couldn't help but smile as he pulled himself up and followed Remus, allowing himself to slowly accelerate to a run. He felt a rush of excitement as he caught up with Remus, watching as the other Prince laughed and enjoyed himself.
"This is all so foreign to me." Logan sighed to himself, slowing to a stop as Remus began to climb up a tree. "You coming Lo?" Remus called, not hearing Logan's sigh. "I think I'd rather stay on the ground." Logan politely declined. "Suit yourself." Remus replied, swinging on a branch to get over a river that went through the forest.
"Not just the forest, which is literally foreign to me... but running, feeling... Excited. I'm not sure how to navigate this, but I seem to be doing decently so far." Logan continued to speak to himself. He looked around for another way down the river, and managed to find a narrow part of the river that he could leap over. He took a deep breath before backing up, running towards the river and leaping over it. He stumbled, caught himself, then resumed to run down the forest rail.
Remus paused so that Logan could catch up, grinning as he rounded the corner and spun around again. When Logan rounded the corner, he was stunned to find a series of large tree houses, with many string lights and vines of flowers hanging about. "I know you said you preferred the ground, but this is safe. Promise." Remus assured him before climbing up a rope ladder. "If you say so." Logan replied, hesitant as he watched Remus climb up.
Gathering his courage, Logan walked over and took hold of the ladder, tense as the ladder swayed. "I can't do it..." He murmured, stepping off the ladder and rubbing his arms nervously. "Hey, it's okay." Remus assured him, holding out a hand to help Logan. Logan looked at the hand, then at the ladder as a sense of dread washed over him. He nodded before taking the hand and attempting to get his footing in place. Remus held him still, helping Logan keep his balance as he climbed up.
Once Logan was on the wooden platform, Remus grinned again and walked into one of the houses, leaping onto a beanbag chair. "Did you build this place?" Logan asked, looking around with an impressed expression. "Yeah. Roman, Maria and I built this place with the help of some servant kids we were friends with. It used to be our hide out for when Mom got pissed at us. Eventually Roman and Maria no longer needed it, but... I still come here." Remus told him.
"I can see why. Your mother is not the most pleasant person." Logan stated. "Yeah, she's a bitch." Remus agreed. "I didn't say that, but yes." Logan confirmed, a slight smirk on his lips as he did. "Why do you hold back so much?" Remus asked, noticing how the slightest change in Logan's seemingly emotionless state made him practically shine.
At least, it did in Remus's eyes.
"What do you mean?" Logan questioned, still looking around. "You're always so prim and proper, almost robotic. Why do you do that? Are your parents really strict or something?" Remus elaborated. "I suppose you could say that... They preferred for me to keep under control. They had their reasons." Logan explained, his smile falling into a somber expression.
Remus studied Logan curiously, leaning over in a thoughtful manner. "Well, you don't have to with me. No one's here to bug you for it." Remus assured him. "It's not that simple, but thank you." Logan replied with a small nod. "No problem, I guess. I just prefer it for people to be themselves around me." Remus replied. "Well, I would choose to be this way even if my parents didn't encourage it, if that helps." Logan informed him. "Eh." Remus said with a shrug. He hoped Logan could open up more eventually, then again, he wasn't exactly an expert when it came to that either.
"Come on! This is just the sitting area, the other houses have different things." Remus then cheered, taking Logan's hand and leading him out of the house. Logan failed to hold back a smile as he stumbled and caught up to Remus. This would certainly take some getting used to, especially with how spontaneous Remus seemed. Logan was willing to try, regardless of how far out of his comfort zone all this was. Even if he never believed in true love, never believed in fairy tales or happy endings, he believed now that having one with Remus was worth the effort.