Chapter 10: The Letters

(Song recommendation: https://open.spotify.com/track/0HVYo3NYbECy44hyurVCCa?si=EI-3tO3kSEGawjeSUnUPfw )

While the Royal Family was having their dinner, the royal staff was tending to their needs and cleaning up the ballroom, and the other performers packed up the stage, Virgil was sent back to his quarters.
Virgil stretched out his limbs, afraid they might give out if he rested without doing so. With all he put them through, and the magic he used to get through it, he wouldn't be surprised if he woke up paralyzed from the waist down. It was worth it, however. The impossible speed and rhythm he was able to maintain, and the reassurance that he meant something in this world, even if that something was to simply entertain, that was enough.
Of course, there was also the perk of gaining the attention of the two Princes. That was certainly unexpected. At first he was nervous about it, incredibly anxious to be in that situation. He thought being caught in the crossfire of two Princes, whom he was the first crush either had, would be utter hell for his anxiety. He was surprised to find himself rather fond, though their competition was a friendly one. Despite their constant bickering, it seemed the brothers were quite close.
When he heard about the Princes that would come to court the twins, he hadn't been too worried. The Princes had both assured him beforehand that their hearts already belonged to him, and that they planned to reject the advances of their suitors... Though after seeing them dancing with their suitors in the ballroom, the way Janus and Patton already seemed so connected to Remus and Roman... The way Logan and Janus already had chemistry with Remus and Roman... it was nearly impossible to keep focus on his dancing, to keep from feeling anxious about the entire thing.
Virgil took a deep breath before finishing his stretches and winding up a music box. He hummed softly along to the music, feeling his nerves ease a little as he fed his pet spiders. "Good evening, Tim, Marcus, and Victor. Hope your day was better than mine." He sighed, watching the trio of arachnids as they ate within their enclosure.
After awhile, the music box slowed to a stop, reminding Virgil of the progression of time. Virgil sighed, leaving his spiders and entering his dressing room. His depressed expression eased into a soft, hopeful smile when he saw two familiar letters dangling from his mirror on purple strings. He had worried the letters would stop appearing after today.
Virgil opened his purple dresser to find a comfortable outfit to wear. He got changed before sitting at his desk and cleaning off his make up. His black eyeshadow, his purple lipstick and blush, his eyeliner, all of it. Behind the make up was pale skin, dark circles under his eyes, and a couple of spots of acne. He didn't mind his face, nor did he mind his scrawny figure or rather short height. He was used to not seeing himself as attractive, even if others did for some reason unknown to him.
He believed it probably had something to do with his skill as a dancer, or his talent in the make up and dresses he designed. Whatever the reason, two people he admired greatly found him attractive, and that was good enough for him.
(Virgil's outfit, in case y'all were wondering. Only the skirt is purple.)

     Once his make up was gone, Virgil took the two letters and returned to the living room

Once his make up was gone, Virgil took the two letters and returned to the living room. He wound up his music box again before walking to his worn out brown couch with many purple patches sewn into it. It had been the victim of many panic attacks, but it was still useable. He laid on the couch and looked at the two letters, trying to decide which to open. He decided to begin with Remus's, since he needed some comic relief to ease his tension.

     Virgil smiled fondly at the letter, folding it and placing it with the others inside of his music box

Virgil smiled fondly at the letter, folding it and placing it with the others inside of his music box. He decided to go and retrieve the gift before opening Roman's, since Remus had sent him things capable of rotting in the past and he didn't want to make the mistake of leaving the gift out too long. Besides, Virgil may get distracted and forget about the gift completely.
Virgil entered his bedroom and lowered himself onto his hands and knees so he could look under the bed. There was a small green pouch underneath it, which was quite easy for Virgil to pull out. He then sat crisscross on the floor and opened the pouch, and took out a small plastic square. Pressed between two see through plastic squares was a single dead fly, which seemed odd at first. Though a note within the pouch told him to put it under a light.
Knowing there was usually a method to Remus's madness, Virgil followed the instructions and turned on a reading lamp to hold the fly underneath it. He was surprised to find that holding the fly under a light revealed many incredible colours that sparkled in the wings and made the body look almost metallic. "That's amazing..." He gasped before placing the gift on his night stand. He then got off his bed and left the bedroom, ready to read Roman's letter next.

          Virgil blushed and sighed happily

Virgil blushed and sighed happily. He wasn't sure if it was right to not simply choose one of the two Princes to share his life with, but how could he? Roman was so romantic, and flowery, and beautiful, while Remus was surprising, funny, and clever. Both were creative, charming, and incredible in their own unique ways, and they both seemed so content with keeping this game of theirs going. What was the harm in playing along? He would have to choose eventually, or maybe fate would choose for him. Until then, he liked things the way they were... Hopefully the suitors that came to court the twins wouldn't lead to this romance crumbling around him, because he loved both the Princes. Even if it was unfair of him to.