The art of a secret

So, things in Britain were a mess to put it mildly. People were scared of what could be in the rumored chamber that after over 1000 years was finally confirmed to exist. Reporters had a new theory about what was happening every day, historians worked all around the clock, trying to get as much information out of Lord Riddle as possible and hysterical parents sent their children in Hogwarts letters every day, hoping for some news on their end.

All known Death Eaters decided to stay away from the public as they were swarmed by reporters every time they were seen out in public. What led to even more flurry was when Lord Riddle announced publicly that both he and Curare should be the only ones capably of opening the chamber and they were with MACUSA workers when all this happened.

This meant, that by the time Tom finally arrived at Hogwarts followed by at least five Ministry officials including the Minister of Magic, it was all anyone ever talked about.

Tom was in the school to check if the chamber had been opened since the last time, he was in it and naturally everyone wanted to know where it was and how to get in.

When the group of six arrived at the school they were greeted by Dumbledore, McGonagall and Snape. It was almost midnight as they didn't want nosy children looking around and the ones who did decide to leave their common rooms were surprised to find a teacher standing in front of their door, making sure everyone stayed where they were supposed to be.

"Ah Tom, my boy. How lovely that you are here. We are all hoping you can shed some light onto this bizarre situation." Dumbledore said as soon as he saw him. Tom looked at the old man, annoyed the still called him 'my boy' but then just gave him a court nod. No need to make a scene. Besides, it seemed like Albus still thought that they were best buddies although they never got along at all. Tom was too much of a Slytherin to get along with the Gryffindor loving man.

"So then, where is this chamber?" Fudge asked, and everyone else moved a little closer to Tom, like they were some teenagers having secret conversations away from their parents.

"I said I would check if it had been opened. Not give you all a free tour of the place. There is a reason Salazar made sure only his heirs would enter it." This statement led to Tom and Fudge having a stare down, both unwilling to back away from their opinions.

"So, we just take your word for it then? No, at least one other person has to go with you."

"If you insist. Severus will accompany me then."

"He is a Death Eater and will do anything you tell him to" the Head Auror butted in.

"Is he now?" Tom gave her a calculated look, his tone as if mocking her. Sure, everyone believed Snape was one of Toms people, but nobody had evidence. It's not like Severus was known for wearing tank tops, with clear view of his left arm. In fact, even after all these years, only about a hand full of times, was the Dark mark seen on followers. They covered it up or put a glamour on. The time Rabastans mark was on full display at the train station was one of the first real conformations.

"Besides, you say this like none of you will do as I say. Many people here rely on me to send them their paycheck at the end of the month so maybe show some respect. I know it is not your fault we are in this situation, but as I have explained many times, if the chamber had really been opened, things would be very different. There would be death, not just chicken blood writing. Now, I will go with Severus and see what all this is about. Why don't you all wait here?" With that Lord Riddle left, dragging Snape behind him.

"I don't wish to criticize, but we are in the girl's bathroom. You mean to tell me that when you went to school, you came here all the time?"

Tom chuckled, "yes, and yet I still had no problem finding girls who thought I was the best thing since a wand was invented."

"Arrogant git. You know very well that you could walk the streets nowadays and the reaction would be the same."

Severus was interrupted by Tom's hissing which he knew all too well from when Curare and Tom talked, and then suddenly a huge hole opened up in the floor. "I am not jumping." Snape just stated, staring down.

"Me neither" a hiss later stone stairs appeared and the two walked down.

The inside was cold wet and damp. Ignoring the heaps of bones, the two walked further into the chamber.

When they finally arrived at the door Tom stopped at trunked to Severus. "Would this perhaps be a good time to mention that in the chamber, there is a thousand-year-old basilisk, whom, if you look into her eyes, will kill you?"

"Please tell me you are kidding?" With a smirk Tom pushed open the giant door open and before either of them could do anything else there was a loud splash and said basilisk slithered out of one of the ponds.

"Tommy, you have finally come to visit me!"