Chapter 5

After I show the initiates the chasm, I decide to bring them to the cafeteria. The Dauntless members are pretty much either clattering silverware together or shouting. Typical behavior. They all stand up when they see me with the group of initiates and start stomping their feet.

After we walk in, they break away and find somewhere to sit. I find a random table, which is mostly empty except for a few people. I would prefer to sit with Zeke, Shauna, or Lauren but I don't see any of them.

Christina sits beside me. Greaaaaat. Tris ends up sitting between us, though. Thank God!

I see Tris grab a hamburger from the center of the table and pinch it. That's probably what I was like when I first joined Dauntless, too.

I nudge her with my elbow says, " It's beef. Put this on it." I then hand her a small bottle of ketchup.

"You've never had a hamburger before?" Christina asks Tris. Geez, for someone who asks so many questions I'm surprised she doesn't know anything about Abnegation eating habits. Guess we know who's not Erudite.

"No, is that what its called?" Tris asks.

" Stiffs eat plain food." I explain to Christina.

" Why?" she asks.

"Extravagance is considered self-indulgence and unnecessary." Tris answers.

" No wonder you left." Christina says.

" Yeah, it was just because of the food." Tris says sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

Suddenly everyone quiets down. Eric. Crap. I glance over at the door and see him waiting to come in.

I absolutely hate Eric. He walks through the door with his long, dark hair slicked back. He has an entire face of piercings.

" Who's that?" hisses Christina.

" His name is Eric. He's a Dauntless leader." I answer.

" Seriously, but he's so young?"

"Age doesn't matter here."

Eric searched across the room and, when he sees me, heads toward the table. I feel Tris tense up next to me. I guess she doesn't like him much , either.

" Well, aren't you going to introduce me?" he asks while sliding into the seat next to me. Why did it have to be empty?

"This is Tris and this is Christina." I say, guesting to the two girls.

"Ooh, a Stiff! We'll see how long you last." I don't like prejudice to Stiffs. After all, I technically kicked Eric's ass and I was from Abnegation.

" What have you been doing lately, Four?" he asks.

" Nothing, really."

" Max tells me he keeps trying to meet with you, and you don't show up. He keeps requesting that I find out what's going on with you."

Max keeps trying to offer me a job which I don't want. He wants me to be a leader, which I have two reasons why I am strongly against that idea.

1.) I don't want to ever see my father again.

2.) I don't belong here. At least not how they are now.

"Tell him that I am satisfied with the position I currently hold." I tell Max.

" So, he wants to give you a job?" I can hear the jealousy in Eric's voice.

" So it would seem."

"Are you interested?" he asks.

" I haven't been interested in two years."

" Well, lets hope he gets the point soon, then." Eric says, seeming happy that I don't want the job but mad that Max is so determined to let me accept it. He smacks my shoulder and then walks away. I see Tris' shoulders drop instantly as if all the weigh has been taken off.

" Are you two....friends?" she asks, hesitant.

" We were in the same initiate class. He transferred from Erudite." I answer.

" Were you a transfer, too?" she asks.

" I thought I would only have trouble with the Candor asking too many questions. Now I've got a Stiff, too?" I ask, trying to get out of answering that question.

"It must be because your so approachable. You know, like a bed of nails." she says flatly.

What did she just say?

" Careful, Tris." I say.

I hear Zeke calling me from another table. I glance over and see him sitting there with Shauna and Lauren. I stand up and go sit with them, brining my food over with me.