Chapter 9

After lunch I lead the imitates to a new room. A room where they will be ranked. It's a large room, but not in the best condition. The floor is made of old, falling apart wood. The left wall holds a chalkboard used to rank the initates and record their progress. The only form of decoration is a white circle painted in the middle of the floor. There are also punching bags along another end of the room.

On the chalkboard I have already written everybody's name is alphabetical order. Everybody lines up behind the punching bags.

"As I sais this morning, next you will learn how to fight. The purpose of this is to prepare you to act; to prepare your body to respond to threats and challenges- which you well need, if you intend to survive life as Dauntless. We will go over technique today, and tomorrow you will start to fight each other, so I recommend you pay attention.Those who don't learn fast will get hurt." I say.

I show some punches and then observe the initates trying to copy me.

Edward- probably by far the best; has all of the techniques correctly

Peter- looks insane; looks as if he wants to kill everyone. Is only mediocre, though.

Molly- a female version of Peter. I heard her nickname is "The Tank". Suits her, not in a good way

Drew- A less powerful version of Peter who is just try to impress everyone

Christina- she is doing pretty good

Al- Eh, okay, I guess

Will- amateur

Myra- is doing absolutely terrible. My guess is that she's going to be the first person to get killed/ kicked out of Dauntless

Tris- is doing better then she was at first. I need to stop starting at her, this isn't good.

I walk over to Tris and realize she needs more tension in her stomach to through a better punch. She also isn't the strongest but she looks liked she'd make a fast runner.

"You don't have much muscle which means you're better off usuing your knees and elbows." I say.

I press my hands to her stomach and suddenly feel electricity run through me.

" keep tension here." I add.

I lift my hand and start to walk away. She waits a few seconds before starting to fight again, as if catching her breath.

Did that have the same effect on her? Of course not.

" I'm surprised he didnt break you in half. He scares the hell out of me. It's that quiet voice he uses. " I hear Christina say to Trsi.

I leave the room beforing hearinf Tris' responce. I wonder what she said. Do I scare her?