Chapter 19

I look back at the group and realize that Tris is missing. Where is she? I look back at the Ferris Wheel and see that she is starting to climb it. What is she doing? I don't want her getting hurt. I should probably follow her.

"Tris." I say, walking up behind her. She is only on the first rung so she can still hear me.

"Yes?" she asks.

"I came to find out what you think you're doing."

"I'm seeking higher grounds. I don't think I'mdoing anything." she answers.

"All right, I'm coming." I say, slightly smiling back at her.

"I'll be fine." she says. Why doesn't she want me coming with her?

"Undoubtedly."

She starts climbing. When she is a few more rungs up I start to follow her.

Have I mentioned that I HATE heights? It's one of my few, four fears.

"So tell me..... What do you think the purpose of this exercise is? The game, I mean, not the climbing." I ask her, trying to keep my mind off of the heights.

"Learning about strategy. Teamwork, maybe."

"Teamwork." I repeat, laughing slightly.

"Maybe not. Teamwork doesn't seem to be a Dauntless priority."

"It's supposed to be a priority. It used to be." Until Eric and all his stupid Dauntless friends ruined everything...

"Now tell me, what do you think learning strategy has to do with bravery?" I ask her, pausing in between words due to my lunges felling as if they are about to fall out of my chest.

God, I hate heights.

"It...It prepares you to act. You learn strategy so you can use it." She answers, noticing I'm having trouble with the heights. " Are you all right, Four?"

"Are you human, Tris? Being up this high, it doesn't scare you at all?" I ask.

A gust of air comes and pushed her off to the side. Out of instinct I grip the side of her waist. My finger accidently slips under a bare strip of skin exposed from her shirt. My breath stops and my stomach does some sort of flip inside.

"You okay?" I ask.

"Yeah."

When we have reached the top of the Ferris Wheel we both sit on the metal platform.

"You're afraid of heights. How do you survive in the Dauntless compound?" she asks.

"I ignore my fears. When I make decisions, I pretend they don't exist."

She looks back at me and just stares into my eyes.

"What?" I ask her.

"Nothing." she says, sounding embarrassed. "We're not high enough."

Oh, crap.

"I'm going to climb." she says, grabbing the rung and pulling herself up.

"For God's sake, Stiff."

"You don't have to follow me."

"Yes, I do." I say, not wanting her to get hurt.

She climbs up higher with me following directly behind.

"See that?" she asks when we get to the top. She points to the other teams flag, out in the distance.

"Yeah." I say smiling. I am so close to her right now, her head right underneath mine.

"It's coming from the end of the park near the end of the pier. Figures. It's surrounded by open space, but some tress provide camouflage. Obviously not enough, though." I add.

"Okay. Start climbing down, I'll follow you."

I step down and get near the bottom of the Ferris Wheel.

"Four!" I hear someone scream. I look above and see Tris dangling, about to fall.

"Hold on! Just hold on, I have an idea!" I yell.

She can't fall! I can't let her die!

I run to the control box that starts the Ferris Wheel. If I can start it then it will safety bring her back down.

"Four!" I hear her yell again. She isn't going to last for long, I can tell.

The lever successfully starts. When she gets low enough, she jumps and rolls on the ground. She then sits up and places her hands to her face, covering her eyes.

"You all right?" I ask, touching her hands and prying them off of her eyes. It immediately sends electricity throughout my body.

"Yeah." She answers.

I start to laugh. She starts to laugh. I stand up and pull her up along with me.