Chapter 17

Two days have passed since I took the initiates to the fence. Today we are all going to play the "famous" Capture the Flag game. Eric and I will both have our own teams consisting of the initiates.

I go down to the dorm rooms with Eric and a few other Dauntless members. It's still very early in the morning and the initiates have no idea what's going on.

"Everybody up!" Eric shouts as we walk into the dorm. Everybody except Tris scrambles up to put on clothes. My eyes shift to hers and stay there until she stares back .

"Did you go deaf, Stiff?" Eric asks her. She finally gets up.

Christina is standing next to her, only wearing a T-Shirt. She is just staring at Eric with an angry look on her face. Tris is fully clothed. Abnegation trait.

"You have five minutes to get dressed and meet us by the train tracks. We're going on another field trip." Eric continues. I follow him out to the train tracks and wait for everyone to appear.

"Everybody grab a gun!" Eric demands once everyone has arrived.

Everybody scrambled to grab a gun and a box of paintballs.

"Time estimate?" Eric asks me.

"Any minutes now." I answer. " How long is it going to take you to memorize the train schedule?"

"Why should I when I have you to remind me of it?" he says, showing my shoulder. I hate him so much.

When the train arrives I run to it and jump in first. Tris directly follows me.

I reach arm out of the car and hold out my hand. She grabs it and I help pull her in to the train. She let's go and goes to sit on the otherside of the car. What happened, did I do something wrong?

"We'll be dividing into two teams to play Capture the Flag. Each team will have an even mix of members. One team will get off first and find a place to hide their flag. The second team will later get off and do the same. This is a Dauntless tradition, so I suggest you take it seriously." I say once everyone is on the train.

"What do we get if we win?" I hear someone shout.

"Sounds like the kind of question someone not from Dauntless would ask. You get to win, of course." I say.

" Four and I will be your team captains. Let's divide up the teams, shall we?" Eric asks.

"You go first." I say.

"Edward." Eric picks.

I obviously want Tris to be on my team. Plus, she is very fast. That's my strategy, go with the fast people. Eric is purposely picking all the strong people, which, in a game like this, won't really help.

" I want the Stiff." I say. Some people start immediately laughing. Why? Tris is very fast and could probably help win. Why does everyone always look down on her?

" Got something to prove, or are you just picking the weak ones so if you lose, you'll have someone to blame it on?" Eric asks.

"Something like that." I answer.

"Peter." Eric says, picking his next person.

"Christina."

"Molly."

"Will."

"Al."

"Drew."

"The last one left is Myra, so she's with me. Dauntless-born next." Eric says.

We then divide up the Dauntless-born initiates.

"You can get off second." Eric says, smirking at me.

"Don't do me any favors. I don't need them to win." I say. I don't need any advantages or help.

"No, I know that you'll lose no matter when you get off. Take your scrawny team and get off first, then." Eric says.