Chapter 18

My team all jumps out of the train. We need to find a good spot to hide the flag. I want to actually win this year.

I see Marlene walk up to me.

"When your team won, where did you put the flag last year?" she asks, touching her arm. Such a flirt.

"Telling you wouldn't really be in the spirit of the exercise, Marlene." I say.

"Come on, Four." she wines. I give her a quick glare while brushing her hand away.

"Navy Pier. My brother was on the winning team. They kept the flag at the carousel." Uriah says. Really, Uri?

"Let's go there then." Will suggests.

I follow the group to Navy Pier. Marlene takes out her flashlight and shines it on the pavement.

"Scared of the dark, Mar?" Uriah asks.

"If you want to step on broken glass, Uriah, be my guest." she answer back, turning off her flashlight.

When we reach the Ferris Wheel people start commenting on it.

"Think about it. People used to ride that thing. For fun!" Will says.

"They must have been Dauntless, then." Tris adds.

"Yeah, but a lame version of Dauntless. A true Dauntless Ferris Wheel wouldn't have cars. You would just hang on tight with your hands, and good luck to you." Christina says.

I pull out the flag when we reach the carousel.

"In ten minutes, the other team will pick their location. I suggest you take this time to formulate a strategy. We many not be Erudite, but mental preparation is one aspect of Dauntless training. Arguable, it is the most important aspect." I say.

Will snatched the flag from my hand.

"Some people should stay here and guard and some should go out and scout the other team's location." he says.

"Yeah? You think? Who put you in charge?" Mar asks.

" No one, but someone has to be." Will says.

"Maybe we should develop a more defensive strategy. Wait for them to come to us, then take them out." Christina says.

"That's the sissy way out. I vote we all go out, hide the flag well enough so they can't find it." Uriah says.

Everyone starts fighting so I just sit down on the edge of the carousel and look up at the stars.