Chapter 21: Confessions on the Couch

Sneaking out of the park had been much simpler than Samara had imagined. She had stressed about it in the camper for what felt like ages before she realized that 'helloooo', she was Mammon's assistant! Everyone here was afraid of her and assumed her word as his by proxy. So, she decided to use that fun little fact to her advantage, slipping a large tip to the nearest Carnie in exchange for their help in navigating the back streets and alleys between the tents and buildings, dodging out of sight any time Fizz and Damien drew near.

Luckily, neither man was particularly quiet by nature, so they weren't difficult to pinpoint. They sounded desperate and remorseful, and every time she heard Fizz call her name it took great effort not to run to him, but she just couldn't see either of them right now. What she needed was Fizzarolli and his sparkling record of dealing with her regular shitstorms of emotions. She and Fizz had a great deal in common and many of the same struggles, but she just didn't have it in her to come between him and Damien and if she stayed, she would have gotten more upset and likely would have had to postpone dealing with her own feelings in order to stop a fistfight between the two.

When she made it to the car, she all but peeled out of the parking lot, leaving behind thick smoking black strips from her tires on the newly poured asphalt. She didn't let up on the accelerator until the cheery sparkling lights of the park disappeared around her first turn. Only then did she slow down to a normal speed and allow her heart rate to do the same.

She climbed the rickety, purposefully unassuming staircase to Fizzarolli's smaller apartment and knocked fervently on the dingy door. It swung open to reveal the jester demon, wearing a welcoming smile just for her with his arms spread wide in anticipation, ready to hug away her sorrows. She couldn't hold back the tears any longer, and she fell into his arms, embracing him tightly with her arms and her tail.

He stroked her hair gently and kicked the door shut, resting his chin on her head. His bells tinkled softly when he moved, and the familiar sound made her smile into his shirt.

"Hey, I uhhh missed you too?"

He chuckled, and the sound vibrated through his chest and into her.

Samara cursed at herself for being so weak and doing this again. Fizzarolli had dealt with so much of her bullshit without complaint. She owed him so much, her very life in fact. He was the one who had called Stolas and saved her from the brink of a fate worse than death after all. And what had she given him in return? Problems and one night of pussy?

"I'm a terrible person" she sniffed "always putting my emotional crap on you."

Fizzarolli pushed her back, holding her at arm's length and glaring at her.

"That is absolute bunkus horse shit, Samara! I already told you that you're always welcome here and I never mind helping you. I wouldn't have wanted you to live so badly if you were a burden, okay? I like having you around."

"Fine..." she pouted "but I have to make it up to you eventually."

She peered over at his coffee table and saw the array of food he'd had ordered, and her mouth watered.

"Oooh, see? You spoil me."

She dove for the futon and attacked the food with the ravenous nature of a bear before hibernation. Fizzarolli didn't know whether to be impressed or intimidated; maybe a healthy mixture of both.

"I don't think feeding you this junk counts as spoiling. Maybe I should just be grateful for your low standards for me."

He sat next to her and watched her eat for a while.