Chapter 26: Love Me, Fear Me

"I want you...to tell me where my sister is!"

       Mammon threw back his head, erupting in maniacal laughter that carried through the hotel. He slammed his hand down on his floor and leaned up toward her, leering at her with his eerie eyes.

       "Awww, are we trying to plan a little family reunion? That is so sweet, Samara!"

       He twirled a lock of her hair around his index finger before yanking it cruelly. She yelped.

       "You know, I'm sure she'd love to hear all about how you ordered her and loverboy to be killed by that ragtag group of amateur imp assassins! I.M.P. wasn't it called? How disgustingly quaint!"

       Samara's eyes widened slightly, but she did her utmost to keep her cool, and her silence, though he could feel her begin to shake on top of him. Good. She needed to be reminded of her place. Clearly he had let her hold too much sway over him for far too long. She'd become complacent and bold. Those were two traits he couldn't afford to tolerate in an employee.

        Mammon cocked his head so far to the right that it would have long since snapped if he were human. It made Samara's own throat ache in painful memory.

       But, he was pure demon, and it leaked through every pore now as he riled up his energy, allowing his aura to show in its golden hue, the threatening light staining everything and everyone in the room. He chuckled darkly, and sat up with her still on his lap, frozen in fear no doubt. His face loomed over her, so much was their height difference even while sitting.

       With his powers being so aggressively activated, it caused a horrific and truly demonic doubling to his voice that made it sound all the more sinister and caused chills to knot themselves into Samara's core, who was too shaken to even lean away when he was so close.

       "What? Did you think I wouldn't find out about your little emotion-driven stunt? Me, the most well-connected demon of them all? Me, who pulls the strings of thousands who owe me their very existences? Mammon, the Greed Demon?! Foolish mortal!"

       He shoved her back and leapt to his feet simultaneously, standing to his full height before her, towering over her quaking form, his smile stretching so wide that she thought it must be painful.

       "How—-I thought I... When?!" She stammered, tears welling up in her eyes, and her voice a mere squeak too weak to carry much further than his ears.

         "I have known since the moment you set off to hire those little low-level imps. You can't hide anything from me Samara. Anything. Don't you realize that by now?"

       He jabbed an accusing finger in her face.

       "That includes your infatuation with both of my jesters and the lingering softness you hold for your dead almost-hubby. If you weren't so valuable to me I would have killed you all most brutally for disobeying. Even Asmodeus wouldn't have been able to stop my wrath, no matter his mushy little love affair with Fizzarolli."

       A strike of pain flashed across Samara's features. Fizzarolli had never told her about that...and didn't they confide in each other? Love? Why would he hide something so important, especially after what he had only just confessed to her? She felt sick, not just from being in such close proximity to such ancient evil.

       Mammon pressed his hand to his mouth sarcastically, leaning to the side and cooing

       "Oooh,  oopsie! Come now, what's the matter dear? Does it sting not being kept in the loop about your little lover's dalliances? I certainly couldn't imagine how that must feel. Maybe you can go cry in his secret apartment shower with him again about it." He let it slip and snarled at her "Poor pitiful thing."