Elizabeth Meet the Ton

Grosvenor Square, 1813

Dearest Reader, 

The time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington. Three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless mama. Far better odds might exist in the household of the widow Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters. Or perhaps we should look into the home of the Marquess Sheppard. Presenting his only daughter today to the ton whose eyes may not just be on her beauty, but her dowry as well.

        "Come along Elliot quickly" The Marquess grunted with frustration as he stood at the bottom of the stairs.

    "Lizzie's not even ready yet I don't understand the rush" The eldest Sheppard huffed, slumping next to his brother on a small hassock. The youngest Sheppard was face first into a book, a habit he had developed that never stopped.

     "It's not the point, it is your sister's big day, the third biggest day in her life; next to her wedding, and the birth of her children of course. The least we could do is support her" The marquess snatched Edward's book.

     "Hey!" Elliot chuckled, amused as he tugged on his itchy collar "With Smiles please" Their father asked sternly, the boys gave fake grins waiting patiently as Elizabeth finally came down the stairs. She was radiating, a perfect image of an angel in her father's mind as she descended the velvet steps.

     "I'm ready to go Papa" She spoke in a low calm voice.

     "Ugh, what did you do with my sister" Elliot gagged which caused her nostrils to flare.

     "I'll have you know, I will shove my fist so far up-" 

    "Elizabeth!" The Marquess scolded,

     "There she is!" Elliot snickered as the two boys rushed off to the carriage before their sister could do her words justice.

Today is a most important day, and for some a terrifying one. For today is the day Londonderry marriage-minded misses are presented to Her Majesty, the Queen. May God have mercy on their souls

"Miss Prudence Featherington, Miss Philips Featherington, and Miss Penelope Featherington... All presented by their mother, the right Honorable Lady Featherington"

    "Ready?" Marquess Sheppard asked his daughter, reaching out for her hands and she nervously waited in the hall. She was to make her debut today at age one and twenty joining her best friend Daphne as they set upon the ton. But Elizabeth has grown significantly since her first encounter with the Bridgertons. Her once plump face had thinned out showing her sharp jaw and high cheekbones. Her eyebrows darkened and yet her blonde hair lightened almost light the rays of the sun. She seemed to become more poised, only ever showing her true temper inside the confines of her home. Her father had prided himself in his daughter she was beautiful, intelligent, and kind; she was the perfect example of a Marquess' daughter and she was a mirror image of the late Marchioness. Elizabeth had always pictured this moment, years of her and Daphne fantasizing about it but the young Sheppard did have worries. Worries that were squashed by the start of the ceremony.