A Walk In The Park

After the events of the ball Elizabeth barricaded herself in the drawing-room whilst she tediously drowned herself in paintings and sketches to push away all the events of the ball. Her father turned away all suitors that waited for her claiming she was ill but the Marquess knew what had happened, Edward had told him everything, and rage coursed through his veins. Raged coursed through all the Sheppard boy's veins. Daphne stopped by once, she explained the ruse she and the Duke had come up with but Elizabeth didn't really care, she just continued to paint.

     "I thought you had no patience for oil" Elizabeth turned her gaze quickly to see Benedict in the doorway with her brother Elliot,

      "I'm impatient when there's no time" She coldly replied, turning back to the canvas.

     "I brought you some things" He held a portfolio in his hand "Thought you like seeing them for the first time He laughed slightly under his breath. Elizabeth sighed, putting down her paintbrush and looking to the ground.

     "Daphne worries about you" He stepped forward "You're family worries about you" He placed the portfolio on the side table and stopped a foot away from her "I worry about you Lizzie, come back to me" His voice was soft and gentle, unlike the slimy tone of Lord Berbrooke's.

    "You shouldn't worry" She dropped her shoulders "Lizzie turn around" Benedict asked "I'm okay Benedi-" "Turn around" His voice was a little more stern but loose enough that it made her feel safe.

    She turned slowly, her eyes immediately meeting his. The breath in his throat ceased as he noticed the purple color that graced her cheekbone, it was fading but still perfectly clear.

     "Who did this to you, Lizzie?" He asked slowly reaching for her hand, "I cannot say" She shook her head as she finally placed her small hands into his. They melded perfectly together and he began stroking the top of her hand with his thumb to soothe her.

     "Berbrooke" She spoke in almost a whisper "It was Berbrooke" She repeated holding back another sob and she wrapped her arms around him. His eyes widened as he looked at Elliot in the doorway, her brother nodded approval as Benedict returned the gesture, wrapping his arms around her tightly.

     "It's alright no one's going to hurt you" He stroked her soft hair "I won't let anyone hurt you" After a few moments she pulled away. 

    "I've soiled your coat" She looked to the dampened spot where her tears soaked in.

     "A small casualty" He shrugged "It's too bad I don't already have a dozen more like it" He joked causing her to giggle slightly, he hadn't heard her laugh in so long, no one had.

     "Listen Elizabeth the whole family is to picnic in Hyde Park tomorrow, Mama has invited your family but I wanted to make sure you would come" Elizabeth fiddled with her fingers for a second before meeting his blue gaze once again "I would be delighted"

Let it be known, that if this bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, the. Be sure that I shall recover it. For there is nothing like an excursion into to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.

     She walked arm in arm with her brothers through Hyde Park, still, a little nervous but thrilled to be outdoors. This is where she thrived, under the sun and in the breeze.

     "You look well today Lizzie" Edward patted her arm,

      "I feel well" She smiled, her small dimples creasing.